Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

xbox dvd drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyhi

I got a ms25 samsung dvd driveI wanna trouble shoot. Ive went on xbox forums and its a bunch of enthueists that give a bunch of diffrent answers.

The first thing i wanna check is the motor that moves the dvd laser on the rails up and down.

the only thing I see on it is 151k06311f1.

The problem I have is that I get a open disc when the games inserted.
I dont hear the dvd drive at all.

How can I test this item with a ohmeter.??

I tryed to google that number and got nothing. its a samsung tsh943a ms25 drive

Last edited:
It's almost certain not to be the motor, and spares are not going to be available anyway, just replace the entire drive.

If you really want to you can test by disconnecting it and applying a 3V battery - it should move.

Thanks for the reply.

The motor has 4 solder points conected to a ribbon .
I dont know which is the pos neg and

heres a pic its on the top left

HTML:
http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/dvd-disassembly/samsungdisassembly%20037.jpg

Like Nigel said it's probably not the motor, I've never seen a CD/DVD drive fail because of a spindle motor before. Don't Xbox's have a history of over heating? If so it's likley an IC on the main motherboard that failed and there's nothing you can do about it. If you still want to try replace the entire DVD unit.

Yea the 360s do over heat.Its so ridiculous how many other problems they have. Im never getting anything from microsoft again. my next console is ps3 or wii.

One problem they have is with the drive. If the drive doesn't work it cant be every component.I wanna fix it instead of replacing it. Ive done research and the motors go bad dvd dvd lasers..

What happened was the game would play but 10 min into it id get a disc is dirty error.

I used a laser from a older drive I have and same thing.

I replaced the laser with a new one and now it says open tray no matter what laser I use. I'm gonna put 3 volts to it and see what happens. I have 2 drives so I can use the old one to try out each solder point for trial and error

I'm hoping the Ps3 regains market share, it's an absolutly awesome piece of hardware.

Motors CAN go bad, how have you determined that it WAS the motor that went bad? You should be able to test it right in the DVD casing, take some better pictures of the motor controller, There's going to be a connector on that somewhere that you should be able to apply a DC voltage to to force the motor on to see if it works. Post some good pictures of the motor controller.

Thanbks again for the replys. I agree the motors can go bad .. I was told on a xbox forum that it can be the motor that spins the disc.

Im gonna take good pics later heres what I just tryed

I took the top cover of the dvd drive off, where the game goes in and turned it on.
Once you turn it on or open and close tray, the laser shoots out and it starts to spin and stops rite away. It spins for a fraction of a second., like its trying to read , but I still get open tray.

Now theres 2 motors in question and the dvd laser.

1 motor spins the dvd wich spun for a split second.

the other moves the laser up and down on the rails to read the disc. This did not move but Im not sure if it was suppose to move...........No matter what position the laser is in it stays there.. In other words I dont know If when you insert the dvd or game does the laser have to reset in self to a certain part of game or movie to start reading.... Becuase when I put the game in the laser dosent move...

If it spins even for a fraction of a second it's not the motor, so you're wasting your time replacing it. It's something wrong with the control electronics, if you spin the motor by hand just as you power it up so that it's already moving does it change anything? At this point I'd just throw it out and buy a new DVD unit you're not gonna be able to fix it.

I ordered a dvd drive. but im gonna have to flash it oh well this is the last xbox product i ever get. when im done with this im gonna sell it and get a ps3

Xbox has a VERY spotty history though Nigel, way worse than the PS3. I heard many rumors of various lawsuits but never heard anything in the news blatantly about it so they may have been settled out of court. The problems with Xbox were systematic and wide spread and it was a bad design that caused it.
I personally hate these console wars because there are good titles that come out exclusive for Xbox or Wii that I'd like to see on the Ps3, and only crazy gamers buy all the systems.

Last edited:
You have to take care of your gaming system! People complain that "My xbox broke after a month", well no wonder it broke if you throw your clothes on it and it has no airflow! I have had the same xbox360 since release date, and I play regularly, sometimes with the console on 8+ hours. People need to stop blaming the console and blame themselves.

The ps3 has very few if any good games, and game companies (typically smaller ones) are not going to use blue rays and the Wii is not for real gamers.

If your going to get a console, get a xbox 360 but take care of it.

Xbox has a VERY spotty history though Nigel, way worse than the PS3. I heard many rumors of various lawsuits but never heard anything in the news blatantly about it so they may have been settled out of court. The problems with Xbox were systematic and wide spread and it was a bad design that caused it.
I personally hate these console wars because there are good titles that come out exclusive for Xbox or Wii that I'd like to see on the Ps3, and only crazy gamers buy all the systems.

People are now getting PS3 errors and failures, and sony says "get a new one!"

Krum, all machines have a certain failure rate. But take a look at these.

**broken link removed**

Failure Rate: Xbox 360 High As 33% - Sony PS3 & Nintendo Wii Less Than 1% | Ripten Video Game Blog

Considering the prices of the machines are relativly high I wouldn't buy one without an extended warranty with a garunteed replacement policy if the machine goes down for any reason. The Manufacture warranties are only slightly better than a kick in the groin if anything actually happens.

Last edited:
Believe me guys xbox is much worse then any other console. Ive had 3 so far . I take great care of them. The first 2 over heated and this one has a dvd drive problem. And the newest ones off the shelves still overheat.

I called 18004myxox and they told me it was a hardware problem and send it in.. Yea no **** its a hardware problem. THEY WOULDENT EVEN TELL ME WHERE TO ORDER A PART FROM.

I mean yea u gotta make money ,but come on. Thousands of defective counsols and you still gotta pay to fixem and wait 3 weeks to getem back.

A new pcb cost me nothing becuase I still had the old piece of crap . I swapped boards and Im gonna flash it. saved me 100 bucks.

Anyway it was the pcb. When I originally replaced the lens I forgot to desolder the antistatic bridge.Can this be the reason the pcb fried? It at least worked for 10 minutes before replacing the lens, but didn't work at all after powering on.(with antistatic solder point on it)

This is why I tend to spend the (sometimes absurdly extra) amount of money on the no questions asked you bring it in we'll replace it warranties. Peace of mind if nothing else. If that unit fails you get a new one, that day, and usually have the option of buying a new warranty for the bought unit as well. Then you're at least only paying for a new warranty not an entire new unit.

i work in the consumer electronics industry, and i see a lot of bad drive mechs, especially the samsungs. spindle motors in samsung drives are by far the largest number of failures, with lasers a close second (if the laser lights and tries to focus, it's probably ok). you can try to salvage a spindle motor from another similar samsung drive, or just get a new mech. they're about $30 from samsung. just make sure you get the part number off of the drive. there should be a barcode sticker, and the part number is buried in the number on the sticker. it begins with an A and another letter (usually AK or AH), then there's 7 digits and another letter. that's the part number. i don't have a sticker in front of me, but it usually has something long like 20 characters on it, so i'm going to give an example that might not be totally accurate, but should be enough information for you to recognize the part number...

number on sticker:
C038475AK9701234B29F83727

embedded part number:
AK97-01234B

hth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back