Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Repair a Samsung DVD-VR357 not loading DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
My Samsung DVD-VR357 can't read discs. It tries and then spits the disc back out as unreadable.
I tried cleaning the lens (i might need to do better based on what I've seen online).
I opened it up and watched the laser mount after inserting a disc. It moves slightly back and forth while trying to read a disc. It moves forward, then it sounds like its hit a snag and then back, also making that snag sound. I was able to manually move the mount back and forth and the movement was smooth.
I saw a video online that suggests the voltage on the laser mount when all else fails, but wanted to know if what I'm describing sounds like another issue.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

By FAR the biggest usual problem is the laser assembly, either faulty or dirty - cleaning isn't very effective because you're only cleaning a very small part of it, they get dirty in multiple places inside the optics.

If its dirty, not faulty, does it still require replacement or is there some way to clean properly?
Thank you.
It would require replacement, they don't really come apart to clean, and if they did you'd destroy their alignment.

I'm presuming the draw is going in properly?, if it has a drive belt a common issue is the belt slipping and the mechanism never actually reaches the proper position. Although if the lens is going up and down (trying to focus on the disc) then it's likely OK.

The drawer does seem to go in properly, but it was stuck a day ago and started working after i took the drive out and put it back in, like something popped back into place. I'm going to give it one last look and look into replacement parts.
Thank you for all the info.

As the draw goes in, the very last part of the movement lifts the DVD mechanism up, and clamps the disc in place, the laser should then try and focus on the disc (the lens moves up and down a few times). The lifting of the DVD mech is quite hard to do, so puts a lot of extra strain on the drive belt - which is old and worn may not be able to manage it. Once it's in its proper place it activates limit switches to tell the processor it's been successful - then the laser will try and detect the disc.

So does the lens go up and down - usually something like 4 or 5 times, before giving up (with no disc in) - the movement is exaggerated (because there's no disc to find), and quite obvious.

If you've had the mech out because of a draw problem, you might have upset the alignment?, out by just a single tooth could easily stop it working at all.

samsung sells the whole drive or the traverse mechanism only for repair, they don't sell subcomponents like the laser assembly... look for a barcode or qr code sticker on the drive, and you will a find a part number on it. since the DVD player is considered an audio item, the relevant part number will begin with an "A" (television parts begin with a "B"), followed by (if i remember correctly) a second letter, 7 digits, a dash, and 3 digits.

as far as the drawer mech sticking, there were some models that had a problem with the drive frame being slightly bent from stress.... one in partitcular had an easy fix, the drive stood on 3 legs, two in the front and one in the back. removing the chassis screw for the one in the back usually cured the problem of the drawer sticking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back