Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WTK. Powering a relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestroke

I am currently trying to use an output signal from a microcontroller to activate the coils in a high power relay, but the microcontroller output is too weak to switch on the coils. What can i use to get the relay to switch on? Its a arduino microcontroller, and so far using transistors or smaller relays to switch on the larger are all I have in mind., but i dont want to do either. is there some kind of IC that i could use that utilises an external power supply to activate the coils?

We need more information!
What is the coil rated for in the BIG relay. 24VAC, 120VAC, 12VDC 3 amps?
Send more data!

I am currently trying to use an output signal from a microcontroller to activate the coils in a high power relay, but the microcontroller output is too weak to switch on the coils. What can i use to get the relay to switch on? Its a arduino microcontroller, and so far using transistors or smaller relays to switch on the larger are all I have in mind., but i dont want to do either. is there some kind of IC that i could use that utilises an external power supply to activate the coils?

hi,
Look at the ULN2308A ic.

As Ron says, wotcha doing.?:)

......and why are you looking for another chip, rather than a transistor of mosfet

I tend to use 2n7000 for relay driving, and the relay switches a load of over 75A DC

Last edited:
Digikey relays with 5v coils will switch up to 1/2A at a current gain of ~500/10 = 50.
You might use cascaded relays and still do better than trying to squeeze current gain out of transistors. Certainly relays are hardier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back