Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wrong DMM Led diagnostic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zener_Diode said:
Hey

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/vcr-philips-problem.24438/

When I checked the LED with DMM it shows me that the LED is good.
When I replace the old LED by the new one the VCR stated to work properly.
How can it me, the DMM shows that led is good while it is bad???
REading the other post too I'd say that LED doesn't have enought voltage to operate. 1.5V...I haven't seen a LED that can be operated from a single aa batery. So the LED is OK but it doesn't give any light. U should consider replacing the resistor before the led. What value does it has now?

Last edited:
Nigel Goodwin said:
You place it in a circuit and confirm it works correctly, that's the only 100% way.

It is an infrared LED I can't see it's light.
If I connect it to 10V through 10K resester I have 893uA current, 1V fells on diode.
if I rise the supply voltage the current rise too but the led voltage don't changed.
how can I know that he is good ot bad???

Tarsil said:
REading the other post too I'd say that LED doesn't have enought voltage to operate. 1.5V...I haven't seen a LED that can be operated from a single aa batery. So the LED is OK but it doesn't give any light. U should consider replacing the resistor before the led. What value does it has now?

I don't remember exactly but I think there was a 76 om resester. 5V before resester and 1.5V on the led. When I put other LED everything started to work properly...
How can u explane this?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, some components may test good under static type testing. However in the dynamic situation (under use/load) the component may act up or not work at all. This is not uncommon.

Zener_Diode said:
It is an infrared LED I can't see it's light.
If I connect it to 10V through 10K resester I have 893uA current, 1V fells on diode.
if I rise the supply voltage the current rise too but the led voltage don't changed.
how can I know that he is good ot bad???

I don't remember exactly but I think there was a 76 om resester. 5V before resester and 1.5V on the led. When I put other LED everything started to work properly...
How can u explane this?

If you have a digital camera with a preview screen, you can see it light up that way...

76 Ohms!?:confused:
How about puting the LED in series with a 5V PS (could be voltage taken from the VCR), a 150 ohm res and a ampmeter. See the curent drawn by the led.
Also see https://www.gizmology.net/LEDs.htm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back