Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Would using a USB to COM converter for JDM circuit work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodninja

Hello everyone,

I was thinking to implement a PIC16F84A JDM (Programmer/Interface) circuit, but the circuit has a Parallel port interface instead of USB, none of my PCs have a parallel port, so would it fine if I used a usb to parallel port converter ? I see them in markets but never thought i'd use one.

what do you think ??

Hello everyone,

I was thinking to implement a PIC16F84A JDM (Programmer/Interface) circuit, but the circuit has a Parallel port interface instead of USB, none of my PCs have a parallel port, so would it fine if I used a usb to parallel port converter ? I see them in markets but never thought i'd use one.

what do you think ??

Are you talking about a Com port or a LPT port
All pc's that I know of have a printer port (LPT) CORRECTION Not true of new ones that use usb
Newer Pc's that are missing Com ports can easily add a serial card in a empty PCIe slot.
On my computer ( Win 7 x32 ) I added a dual port serial card for about $20.
Some cards can be bought that include 2 Com ports and 1 Lpt.
Usb > Com converters have many problems with bad drivers, especially if you are using a Win 7 x64 computer.
Using a add-on card fixes these problems in every instance that I have run across, plus the data transfer rate is better that usb can supply.

Last edited:
Newer Pc's that are missing Com ports can easily add a serial card in a empty PCIe slot.
On my computer ( Win 7 x32 ) I added a dual port serial card for about $20.
Some cards can be bought that include 2 Com ports and 1 Lpt.
Usb > Com converters have many problems with bad drivers, especially if you are using a Win 7 x64 computer.
Using a add-on card fixes these problems in every instance that I have run across, plus the data transfer rate is better that usb can supply.

Cool hint ! thanks I'll look it up then. Thanks

It really isn't worth buying a serial port programmer nowadays. Most of them rely on programming voltage being delivered by the serial port, which simply doesn't happen properly any more on modern PCs. They also don't support devices which require low voltage programming.

A PICkit2 (real or clone) has much better support, offers the opportunity to program many more devices and uses USB. They will let you debug code and also work as a basic logic analyser. Check out blueroomelectronics for the Junebug, which many forum members have and are happy with (myself included). Or go pickup a new/used PICkit2 on ebay.

You don't see many new PC's then :D

I haven't seen a new PC with a parallel port for a year or two now - not much point, all printers are USB.

You are right.
Don't know what I was thinking.
Both of my Win 7 machines use usb.
I must have had my old Win Xp machine in the back of my mind.
It's Hell to get old - I must be loosing it :eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back