Would this fan-controller work? Basic transistor math.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lac

Hi there.

Im currently planning a simple and cheap fancontroller, to learn how to use transistors really. The fan used is rated at 12V 0.21A, I have figured out that the fan will stop rotaing when it is only feed 0.048.A, and the transistor im using have a hfe value of 400, that would mean that if i want 0.048A to pass through the transistor i need to have a current of 0.048A/400=0.00012A at the base. And to get that i need a resistor of 12V/0.00012A=100k connected to the base of the resistor. And to protect the pot from the hig current, I need to connect a resistor valued to 1k in front of the pot.

Lastly I would need to connect a resistor after the transistor to limit the current going through it to a value under the max value 0.5, the resistor need to have a wattage rating of at least 12V/68R=0.1764W.

So that would mean that when the pot is turned to 100k, it would only go 0.0476435...A to the fan. And when the pot is turned to zero, it would go 0.176470...A to the fan.

phew! lots of writing there , but does this generally looks right to you?

In advance, thanks.

Attachments

• fancontroller.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 960
  • datasheet.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 687
If your intention is to use a linear circuit just for the purpose of learning the circuitry, great! However, any linear circuit suffers from a problem with efficiency. Anything the fan isn't using is lossed across the pass transistor. A better solution is to use a 555 timer and vary its pulse width, feeding the output to a MOSFET or NPN in a common drain/emitter configuration. If you get the switching frequency down too low, you'll hear it in the fan winding, so keep it well-above 20KHz so that you keep cool while still warding off the mosquitos.

Dean

Simple 12v Fan Control

Lac
You have made a few mistakes on your maths - all your calculations seem to assume 12v across every component (which isn't true!)

If you use the configuration you have drawn (common collector - load in emitter leg), then the sums for me are as follows :-

NOTE that this allows a maximum of 11.3V to the fan motor.

Alternatively, you could use a common emitter circuit (see drawing below), this would allow almost the full 12V to the motor but isn't quite as tolerant as the common collector circuit, being more sensitive to transistor temperature (thermal runaway?) and supply voltage changes.
I have made no attempt to rationalise the resistor values as both circuits will need to be corrected for the transistor's hfe, your data says it could be anywhere from 250 to 600. My calculations assume your quoted hfe of 400.

And you thought your posting had lots of writing :!: :wink:

Attachments

• simple_transistor_fan_control.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 852
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…