Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring Rocker Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to use a “4 rocker switch” to power the four windows in my car up and down. See photo of front and back of 4 rocker switch attached.

Each window motor has two wires, one for positive, one for negative. If you switch the two, the motor will go in the opposite direction.

How do I wire this switch for each of the four windows? In the past, I have used relays to power the windows. For convenience, I have numbered the terminals on the back of the switch in the middle from left to right 1 through 8. The two bottom terminals are designated from left to right A and B.

I realize that I can hook the two wires for example from the front driver side motor to terminals 1 and 2 on the back of the switch, and do the same for the remaining three of the motors using pins 3 to 8. If I knew what terminals A and B were for, I would be in better shape, but I don’t and I am hoping someone does. Could they be for 12 volts and ground? (FYI, terminal 5 is about a quarter inch longer than the remaining terminals.)

Unfortunately, I have looked for but cannot find a socket for this 4 rocker switch. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to connect the wires to the 10 copper terminals?

Thanks for your help.
John S.

Attachments

• attachment electro tech.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 277
In all likeliness you pretty much have the wiring. A and B are power and the pairs (1,2) (3,4) etc are motors.

So, it's possible that Position UP might be A to 1, B to 2 and DOWN might be A to 2, B to 1 or vice versa.
LEDs sometimes use a longer lead for polarity designation. So it's possible that + is the long lead: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/polarity/diode-and-led-polarity

Too bad you didn't put a ruler in the picture. You can measure dimensions that way. A pixel is 1/72 of an inch which is also useful.
Hopefully you can find 4 dual connectors and two singles that might fit.

If you get power and ground the wrong way round, you will just get the motors going the opposite way.

A and B are the power and ground, as each leads to top and bottom of each switch. It is a classic reversing switch arrangement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back