Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring for home security alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

hychong69

Our house is in construction and I am looking at putting the wiring in for the security alarm myself and have it install after the house is completed. What type of wiring cable should I use for the panel, keypad, reed, PIR, internal and external alarm. Can I create a loop to connect a few PIR on the same wiring? Any advise is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Wire is cheap when the walls are open. I would home-run cat5 (or if you need it cheap, quad or twisted pair) to the alarm box from each location that you plan to have a sensor.

I think I will not consider CAT 5 cable as it is a bit dear. Is quad sufficient? I just had a look on the net and PIR got Relay, EOL and Tamper connections. Should I be worry about those connections?

Last edited:
mneary, I think I'll just go for the quad for the sensors as you advised. I believe I need a 6 core for the keypad. Quad should be sufficient for both internal and external siren. Thank you for your advice.

PIR sensors usually require 6 cores.

* 2 for power.
* 2 for data / signal.
* 2 for anti-tamper loop.

I think the bell boxes require more than 6 cores, but can't remember.

Edit: Found something for you: **broken link removed** Happy birthday.

Last edited:
Your quad is probably 26 or 24 AWG, which is safe at 1 or 2A at most. A siren may require more current than this. Check the ratings.

Many ready made alarm circuits have termination resistors for each loop. To prevent false triggering shielded cable should be used for the entire field wiring. This is also prescribed by home insurance companies in Germany in order to decrease the insurance rates to be paid.

Noncompliance will lead to normal rates (the same to be paid without alarm system).

Check for your home insurance regulations concerning wiring. If you don't intend to buy an insurane you might use any conductive material for wiring.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back