Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring/Circuit help

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisc

Hi,

I hope someone can help with a wiring problem i'm having.
Let me try and explain what it is i'm trying to do.

I'm not sure if anyone on here is into or familiar with performance car's so i'll have a go at explaining it and if i need to clarify something later i can.

I have a boost controller for my car, it allows me to set a specific level of boost depending on what gear i'm in through the use of 2 wires which need to be momentarly switched to earth to activate a function within the controller.

If wire 1 is earthed then the controller goes up 1 program (gear), the next time it's earthed it goes up to the next program.

If wire 2 is earthed then it resets the controller back to program/gear 1.

I only need to have limited boost in 1st and 2nd gear once i'm into third it can switch onto the high boost setting.

My idea is this:- (below is a pic of a similar shifter assembly to mine, the switches indicated by the red/black boxes would be operated by a push rod on the shifter)

**broken link removed**

Switch 1 would be connected to wire 2 so that when i shift into 1st gear it reset's the controller into program 1.

Switch 2 would be connected to wire 1 so that when i shift into 2nd gear the controller moves up 1 program

Switch 3 would also be connected to wire 1 so that when i shift into 3nd gear the controller moves up into the highest program where it would remain until i shifted back into 1st to reset it.

I supose my main question is what type of switch could i use to provide a momentary connection?? (bearing in mind the car might be in 1st/2nd or third for minutes at a time)

I'm guessing i couldn't just use a simple PTM switch for this as it will still be earthing the connection all the time it's in gear?? :confused:

Thanks for any advice you can provide and if you can spot any flaws in my theory then feel free to point that out too.

Last edited:
There is one type of electronic logic switch that just requires a momentary, touch and release type of grounding in order to activate.
There might be a different mechanical type of switch that requires a hold until finished type of grounding for activation.
Do you require the touch and release type or the hold until finished type of switch?

I think i'd need some type of electronic switch.

The switch may be depressed for 30 seconds but it should only allow the connection to be made for a second lets say, it only needs to ground momenteraly.

Thanks for the reply
Kris

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back