Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring a electronic coin mechanism to serial port??

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuee

Hi all. Im making a juke box and my last piece has just turned up.. The Electronic coin selector.

The jukebox software accepts counter on a serial port but i have no idea how to set this up to do that.

I have the cable on the unit as such in the photo.

Could someone please tell me how to setup to serial port. i have a12v power supply already hooked upto black and red .

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20130802_151652.jpg
    IMG_20130802_151652.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 210
That mechanism doesn't have an RS232 interface. Maybe your software uses one of the control lines to detect the pulse. Do you have a link to the software?

Mike.

thats the whole point, i dont want to have to pay that much when the software i got on special and it cost half of what that does. Surely their must be a pulse to serial converter.

The "software" cretaed some sort of "protocal" to talk to the wiring. For all I know, it could send the character "1" when a coin drops,

But it looks as it will translate the codes sent by the remote to something readable by the program as well as signal condition the coin signal and report that.

Be80 has done stuff like this, he might be able to help.

Yep I played with theses my code sends the coin count serially.
[video=youtube_share;8P8Qbun1_LM]http://youtu.be/8P8Qbun1_LM[/video]

Well I guess I'm not the only nut to use serial from a coin counter I've played with these kind of how the one in the video worked coin dropped it pull the line high for 100ms and i tried 60 and 25ms to 100 worked the best.

I then sent it out 1 2 3 4 coins and the display handled the math and reset

They could do with some of your coin ops burt down our local launderama, I take my curtains occaisionally and the machines coin ops are in a right state, still I spose they are 50+ years old.

I been looking at this for a little while. It looks like the coin box is using 12 volts and is pulling low.

So it looks like the board that sends out the coin counts and volume is maybe limiting the inputs to a safe level to a micro.
Why i think that is because it tells you not to use a coin box that pulls high so the coin output could basically be floating at the uC Vdd and then be pulled low.

We get a coin it sends a F1, reject F12, vol+ F9, vol- F8, sevice Tab and Credit F2.
Now for the hard part I need to know what happens when a coin is dropped for sure I need the voltage at no coin and the voltage when the OP drops a coin.

The chip there using for USB to serial is a 18F14k50 and from them images I've found it's inputs have just a resistor on them to let the chips input more then likely use the clamping diodes float at Vdd and be pulled low. 10K the pin would see 1.25 mA

Last edited:
Well I no what it using I just don't no for sure it the coin drop gives a 100 mS low or a 100 mS high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back