Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wirelessly Switch Outdoor Low Voltage Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jocanon

I am trying to figure out the best and most cost effective way to put an on/off switch on the low voltage sidea of my tranformers output for my outdoor low voltage lighting. I want to switch the low and not the high voltage side of the transformer because then I can switch off individual runs instead of the entire transformer. In addition to the AC DC transformer that powers the low voltage lighting, I also have pool automation hardware for my pool that has many available high voltage relays and I already have a wireless table top controller to switch them. There are also a few low voltage (24v) switches in the automation. So what I am wondering is if there is a way to tap into that somehow like power a switch from the high voltage relay that will switch the transformer low voltage runs off and on? Or is there a relatirelatively inexpensive wireless solution available for switching low voltage (like under $100). It would be an added bonus if I could make the low voltage LED lights dimmable by having the switch be dimmable, but I think this might cost more than I am willing to spend, so I am willing to settle with just wireless on/off switching of 12v runs.

Your posting is very confusing. Do you already have some remotely-controlled isolated relay contacts that are closed when you want your lights on, or not?

Sorry, I am typing this on my phone as my wife drives and it is difficult to not get car sick...anyway, I think the answer to your question is yes. I should add also that I do have skills at soldering and am not against building a simple circuit if that is needed, I wpull need help knowing the componenets and design of the circuit though.

Could it be this simple?

Yard.gif

It might be that simple...does it matter that those relays are connected to AC high voltage right now? For example, I can plug a pool heater into it right now and it will not only turn it off and on but also provide high voltage AC power to the heater. Can they work to switch low voltage and still be controlled by my remote pool controller?

I asked if the relay contacts are isolated? If not, then you will need some small 120Vac relays that you can wire in parallel with your pool heater. The relay contacts on those new relays are isolated from the 120Vac that controls the coil, so they can be used to switch the low-voltage DC circuit...

Oh, I think got it now...yes you are right, they are not isolated because they have live current. So you are saying I can just add another relay to the non-isolated high voltage relay in parallel that will be isolated which I can then connect the 12v power supply to and it will turn off and on with the remote control when I turn the high voltage relay heater on? Note, there is no heater on it, but that is where you would put one, so I will have nothing connected to the non-isolated relay except for the second isolated relay to connect the 12v to? Am I saying that right?

Thanks! Is that rated for low voltage? Also, what is the max current with 12v? Sorry, I looked at the specs but couldn't see that.

TE.gif

~12A

Does it have a minimum voltage rating? I thought I saw somewhere that relays can get corroded over time if they do not have a high enough voltage to burn off stuff...sorry, don't know the tech terms. The graph looks like it stops at about 26v, is that the min?

I see it switching 12A at 10V. You are supposed to stay below and to the left of the line...

Got it...ok, one last thing...is it possible to make the lights dimmable with perhaps a voltage dividor or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back