Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless Keyboards - Secure ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard.c

Hi,

Have just been trying out one of the wireless 2.4ghz keyboards and mouse, this particular one the Advent ADE-AD2.

Testing the range over 10 meters, through the brick wall, out into the garden proved no problem for it.

The manual does not make any mention of security or encoding apart from the number of codes to pair the devices, although I believe security is designed into this type of rf system ?

Does anyone know how secure they really are or not ?!
Makes me a bit nervous if it can transmit so far.

thanks

Richard

I have read, that the weak 8 bit encryption used on 27Mhz keyboards has been easily broken.

Your 2.4Ghz keyboard probably uses Bluetooth which has a better 128bit encryption. (providing it is actually enabled).

Well if you think about it no wireless is truly secure. I mean you can make it harder to read by encrypting the data...but either way you're still sending data that can be received.

As long as you can receive the data you should be able to read it by determining how it was encrypted...simply by a process of elimination or brute force.

But I wouldn't worry about a keyboard being secure...I would worry about your wireless router.

Sensitive data should never be broadcast, as encrypted as WiFi is it's only a matter of time before someone cracks it. At least a keyboard is one way, but it's often full of passwords and such.

Thanks guys for those views.

I don't use a wireless router for that very reason.

The fact that that the keyboard manual does not say anything about security did concern me - they usually shout about it if they think its any good.

Well, think I will give the keyboard back and stick with the good old cabled ones !

thanks

Richard

I love my Logitech MX3000. Best thing ever. I have had it for two years now, and have never had to change the batteries, and i am using the cheap ones from a dollar store.

I am not concerned about security. There are no houses for a quarter mile or so from our house, and our property is shielded by a bunch of trees. If anybody wants to get info from my router, then they are going to have to drive into the yard. If they get into the yard, then i am obviously not home, and there is no need to worry about my keyboard being cracked! :D

Just got a infrared wireless keyboard off ebay for £0.99 and a few quid postage, its got a nice in-built media keys and joystick-mouse [like the old laptop ones] aswell so I can sit on my bed and use keyboard and mouse with no problem.

If someone wants to read my keyboard they'd have to get a ladder to outside my window and put a IR receiver which is gonna be alot of hard work - and very disappointing when they hack my student bank account :)

lol they probably might some how end up getting the bill for my overdraft :p

humm maybe i should get a RF keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back