Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

windmill charge controller help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have built a diy charge controller from the schematic attached and it will not charge the battery. I have it connected to a 12v supply and when I short the header (instead of adding buttons) to force it to charge it only turns the dump led off and not the mosfet and it doesn't turn the charge led on.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Damian

Attachments

• oldchargecontroller.jpg
    oldchargecontroller.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 2,392
  • P1040184.JPG
    P1040184.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 794
  • P1040187.JPG
    P1040187.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 611
  • P1040188.JPG
    P1040188.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 698
Hi Damian,
Go to the RE Projects Forum and take a look at the schematic I put up for a charge controller/diverter. The one I made several years ago is still going strong on my 24 volt array in the shed and it takes care of 650 watts of PV and a wind generator.

Cheers Bryan

I haven't built this circuit, but may I suggest connecting the relay coil from the MOSFET to the main power source. The DUMP feature should drain the battery, not inject it with an electrical surge.

The dump feature connects the windmill to a load other than the battery so that it doesn't spin out of control and self destruct. It doesn't inject it with a surge of power it merely disconnects the battery to prevent over charging.

I have fixed the problem in the original post and the unit is now working fine and has been for a month or two now. There were a number of problems, a solder bridge on one of the trimpots and i had a p channel fet instead of a n channel and i had missed out a track cut.
see https://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill/forum1/forum_posts.asp?TID=2925&KW=terrapinlogo&PN=0&TPN=1 for the whole story

Last edited:
I would be incline to move fuse F1 to battery leg on other side of relay as the result of it blowing could be a windmill run away where it is presently at. No fuse in line to load dump.

Modify circuit so detection of blown fuse on battery line automatically moves to load dump.

Last edited:
I think I posted on the wrong thread.
Can the OP remember to reduce the pic size when uploading . It took me 30 secs to download and I did not look at any others .I dont have that sort of capacity

The schematic is only about 80kb but the images are large so as others can see the tracks in detail and possibly spot any shorts or errors. I admit they arent small for dialup or poor internet connections but most people have a reasonable connection nowdays so i just uploaded the originals

Hi Damian,
Go to the RE Projects Forum and take a look at the schematic I put up for a charge controller/diverter. The one I made several years ago is still going strong on my 24 volt array in the shed and it takes care of 650 watts of PV and a wind generator.

Cheers Bryan

Hey bryan where exactly is this ? could you post a link . I have not been able to find it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back