Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wind Pwer charger and controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

tytower

Banned
Found this and noticed when the 12V system is not being charged because output is too low you can have some lower voltage batteries attached and charging so the low output is not lost

Could be adapted to charge a large LiPo say which then is used to recharge iPods and phones etc

I don't like the top voltage limit .It should never be higher than 14.3 Volts in my opinion as if your battery reaches this voltage it is gassing and heating and doing damage. So if anyone has any suggestions to alter that part please post it here.

Attachments

• WindChargerhc2.jpg
    WindChargerhc2.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
I don't understand how that would be done .Can you elaborate please
I'm guessing its changing the resistors on pin 3 ?

Last edited:
Well I'm not sure I'm right but here is what I think:
The reference is set by the 1.2 volt voltage regulator diode (LT1004-1.2)
This is compared to the junction of the 107K and 10K connected to pin 3. So in this case the center voltage is set at 14.02 volts.
Now the fun part. The note says the nicad is charged thru the 1ma current source (LM334), but the connection is not shown. Assuming it should be connected that would make the window width .2 volts or 13.804 to 14.204.
Better see if someone else has a better explanation.

Do you realize how big a 20kw mill is???

That is a commercial grade mill of massive size, a 4kw mill is doable for a small/mediumn installation (still a very large mill), so best you tell us what you want to do, as your question would imply you have little idea about wind energy, and are thinking unrealistic generator outputs.

I have a few issues with the post #1 circuit.
1) With the voltage divider comprising 107k and 10k resistors the window centre voltage will theoretically be 1.2*(107+10)/10 = 15.24V, whereas the top of the window is alleged to be 15.1V.
2) The NiCd voltage (Vbat) is shown as 4.5. A more reasonble figure would be 4.8-5V
3) The window half-width is Vbat*10/(215+10) = 0.2V, so the width = 0.4V whereas the alleged width is 15.1-13.8 = 1.3V.
4) A NiCd battery on charge is not a good voltage reference for deriving the window half-width.
5) The charge current of the 12V battery is ill-defined and not adequately limited.
6) A 1N4001 diode is rated at only 1A avge. Will that be enough?
7) The NiCd is not shown connected to the current source (as mentioned above).
8) If the whole point of the circuit is to charge the 12V battery, shouldn't the bottom of the window be a lot less than 13.8V? For instance 10V?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back