Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Winblows 7 the Worst OS Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan1

G'day Guy's,
Well what a years end to deal with, that 64 bit computer I built for my missus is now dead as both winblows and linux says the NFTS file system is corrupt and any data on the HD can't be accessed.

When I first looked none of the fans were working so I suspected my DC psu has given up the ghost so I put a 450 watt 240 volt psu in. The bios kept saying only 2 gig of ram was there and the computer has 4 gig. I did first a swap of the ram sticks and the bios kept saying 2 gig so I took one out in turn and tried it and BOTH proved good.

So when I tried loading windows it got to the login screen and loaded once a password went in but the screen was blank with only the mouse cursor shown. Now trying to access the 500 gig file system in linux on my wubi partition did say the nfts file system is corrupt and can't load. So I put the ubuntu 64 bit DVD in and it ran fine but trying to access the 500 gig file system said the same thing. got the net working via wifi and Ubuntu worked fine running under the live cd.

I did try the winblows 7 dvd and clicked on repair.... what a friggin joke it couldn't find the file system and suggested I upgrade to the pro mode.

I tried my Knoppix disk but as it's 32 bit it wouldn't load, so I went and joined the Knoppix forum and still waiting for my thread to be approved as I do think Knoppix will let me get the data off the HD and there is several DVD's to retrieve. If any guys here are familiar with Knoppix 64 Bit and say yes it will work then the iso 702 meg download will help. I do want to try and get the data off the HD myself but as the winblows OS is dead this is the only I know how to do it.

Well at the end of the day and year that winblows7 OEM version WILL go down in history as the WORST OS ever brought out and like me EVERY other person that has the same problem should form a class action against MicoSucks for selling a product designed to crash.

New years resolution hopefully I'll get the data off the HD and winblows will never see our 64 bit computer EVER again.

Regards Bryan

So what has this got to do with Windows 7?, it sounds like you may have a duff HDD?.

The reporting of memory from the BIOS also has nothing to do with Windows, perhaps a duff motherboard?.

Nothing you've mentioned suggests any problem with your OS.

I tried my Knoppix disk but as it's 32 bit it wouldn't load

A 32-bit operating system should run just fine on 64-bit hardware. It's only the other way round that wont work.

I hate windows as much as the next man.... but next to XP, Windows7 is a pretty good OS... I had Vista for a while, you can call that OS until the end of time... as bad as ME (mistake edition)

But I agree with Nigel... sounds like a hardware problem.

in the BIOS it does say the HD is there and correct, my missus has over the last week winblows has been regretting worse and the MB does work as linux did connect to via wifi. Linux also reported the NFTS file system is corrupt and the only way to fix it is get into winblows and do a chk disk /f then reboot in winblows twice

Now as winblows will load fine to the login screen theres nothing wrong with the HD and it is the winblows 7 that is stuffed....

I have had a mate get in and look over the net via linux and he has said the same thing that as the NFTS file system is corrupt it does look like a winblows crash and he doubts whether Knoppix can get my data.

Anywy lets just hope Knoppix will come the rescue

in the BIOS it does say the HD is there and correct

Considering the BIOS can't even report the memory fitted correctly why trust what it says about the HDD? - which in any case does no kind of test of the HDD, apart from it's 'there' :D

Don't you have backups of any important data that was on the drive?.

Any chance you could swap the HDD for one in another PC and see if the other PC can read it? That should rule out a BIOS or OS problem.

Ian Rogers said:
I hate windows as much as the next man.... but next to XP, Windows7 is a pretty good OS... I had Vista for a while, you can call that OS until the end of time... as bad as ME (mistake edition)

You're like many Vista users that tried it too early and judged it from there with ever revisiting it. Vista with Service pack 2 installed is rock solid stable and fast. I'm one of the lucky ones that only ever used Vista after the first service pack was released, it's been a well performing flawless experience since day 1 for me.

I'm just as confused as Nigel about Bryan1's statement that Windows 7 is evil. Personally I wouldn't even used a 64bit OS, there's virtually no reason and the 64bit version of current OS's have more comparability issues with both software and hardware. My wife has the 64 bit version of Vista while I have the 32 bit version and our hardware is almost identical, and she's had video card driver stability issues until the vendor got their drivers all sorted out.

The only reason why windows gets such a bad wrap is because if you have one bad experience with it the entire OS version is summarily dismissed as the problem which is simply not the case.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't even used a 64bit OS, there's virtually no reason and the 64bit version of current OS's have more comparability issues with both software and hardware.

That probably hasn't been true for about 2 years now. 64 bit works pretty well on both Windows and Linux in my experience. My day-to-day workstation has 12GB RAM, can't address that properly (without PAE) on any 32-bit desktop OS!

Some older hardware is certainly harder to find drivers for, but I've had no issues recently. I think Vista was the straw that broke the camels back for too many people.

edeca said:
I think Vista was the straw that broke the camels back for too many people.

Yeah I know that sentiment is quite common, which is what I don't understand because as I said, after Service pack 1 was released nearly everything that was seriously wrong with it or that people hated was fixed.

At any rate with any luck Windows 8 will prove to be a new beast entirely.

To me at sounds like a RAM issue (could also be motherboard problem with RAM sub-system). Maybe bad RAM caused a bad HDD write which corrupted the filesystem. You can't blame the OS just yet.

To me at sounds like a RAM issue (could also be motherboard problem with RAM sub-system). Maybe bad RAM caused a bad HDD write which corrupted the filesystem. You can't blame the OS just yet.

No, it seems an entirely bizzarre thing to do - blame the OS for what sounds like a hardware fault - presumably it's just a usual anti-Windows rant for no reason?.

I don't get it. My take is simple. Ever since Windows 95 every Windows release for me has been an improvement. OK, with the exception of Windows ME and my view on ME was anyone running it should have been given XP for free. Fortunately I never suffered that version.

When Vista was released I built the system I am on now and use for everyday ******** work. Screenshot attached. When installed it was the initial release. I never experienced problems with it.

When I built this thing 500 GB drives were popular so I shoved 6 each of 500 GB drives in the thing. I used 2 EA for a RAID 1 array where the OS and all my programs are installed. I left that partitioned as a single C:\ drive. The remaining 4 drives comprised a RAID 5 array. That array is partitioned into two drives as D:\ and E:\. The D drive serves as mass storage and the E drive serves as a regular Vista complete backup that runs weekly. Additionally I use Cobian to backup weekly to another system so there is no shortage of redundancy. Right now there are only a pair of 2GB sticks of RAM installed but it does fine. I yanked 4 GB to test another system and have yet to return them. The motherboard is Intel as I have never gone wrong with an Intel board, though I also like Asus. I think I shoved an Asus board in my wife's system, I forget. When I build a system I use good hardware and build around what I want.

I have a test box configured with XP and Windows 7 in a dual boot and that system running an old Pentium D runs just fine. Again, it also was built with good hardware. I generally replace a system every 2 to 4 years and this one is overdue. However, it still runs just fine with no shortage of programs installed.

As to losing files? Systems can and do fail. Even those built with good hardware and well planned. When I hear how people lose those irreplaceable photos or home movies my general comment is "You lost your stuff because you were stupid". Things you care about you backup! Simple as it gets. You build a system with crap and let things get corrupt and somehow it becomes the fault of Microsoft?

Just My Take
Ron

Attachments

• Vista 64.png
    Vista 64.png
    179.9 KB · Views: 380
G'day Guy's,
Well I will confirm Winblows 7 DID totally crash, I finally got into a screen and did a rollback and next thing after a reboot winblows loaded fine. This computer isn't that old either and the MB is a Zotac micro board, 4 gig of ram i5-750 cpu and 500 gig sata HD with a 512 med graphics card.

For a week or so my missus did say CHKdisk always came up and never finished and the puter just hung so I am wondering if yes there is a hardware fault but yesterday I burnt several DVD's to backup all my files and today several more will get done to ensure no data is lost if the magic smoke does come out.

Cheers Bryan

If a rollback recovered the system then the irreparable file was likely a critical system file, after the rollback to the old system files in different locations it would boot stable..

Sounds an awful lot like someone tripped over a power cable at the WRONG time.

Just because Windows crashed doesn't mean it was windows that caused the crash/problem, again you have no reason to think it was Windows itself that was the issue, which is elegantly proven by the fact that Windows now runs stable on the same hardware.

Give it a few months and see what happens. I've seen bad hard drives go like this a half dozen times or more. It starts out as a spec of dust, and as time goes by it corrupts more and more regions of the disk. They'll often pass native hard drive testing utilities only to be completely dead a few hours later.

So with it working, you did back up all important data right?

Ron

For a week or so my missus did say CHKdisk always came up and never finished and the puter just hung so

For how long? Chkdsk can take a long time to finish without visible progress reports (easily 6++ hours on a bad HDD). You might be able to save more data if you run chkdsk properly, but I would not trust that HDD anymore. Stop booting from it. Connect it to another computer and save what you can.

Have you tried to read the SMART info on the HDD?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

EDIT: If the windows rollback fixed your problem and chkdsk does not report any problems, then you might want to check those SMART values on the HDD. If those are ok, I guess you can trust the HDD. I replaced my 500 gig HDD immediately after read-error-rate counter was up to five or so after 6 months. My BIOS was smart enough to report that the counter was over the manufacturer-set limit. Go to your HDD manufacturers website and see if they have a free diagnostic software for your HDD.

Last edited:
I have a 32-bit Win7 laptop, and it's one of the best computers I've ever had. On the other hand, my only other ones were ancient and were running no higher than XP. Most of them had dead batteries, if it even had one at all, but anyway, I love my new one. I haven't found a single thing to complain about. It does what I need it to, no problems whatsoever.

After getting my Iphone, I think my next PC will be an Apple. The best part is customer service...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back