Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What`s the difference between saving a vector as .ai and saving as .eps? Read more: What`s the diff

Status
Not open for further replies.

arenawarper

Is there any benefit to saving as an .ai file? I know that .eps files can be opened in many programs, but .ai files, I think, would only be opened in Illustrator. Should I bother saving in an .ai format?
Read more: What`s the difference between saving a vector as .AI and saving as .EPS? - Is there any benefit to saving as an .ai file? I know that .eps files can be opened in many programs, but .ai files, I think, would only be opened in Illustrator. Should I bother saving in an .ai format?

Hi. I don't know what programs you're using so I just answer in general:

Use the programs native file format when saving, it will be less prone to errors. Still if the program use a file format that is less likely to be accepted by other programs you can export (as backup) in a more common format. That way you're more likely to be able to view the file contents in far future.

Personally I won't recomend those file format from MS like .eps because many programs doesn't import and export those files properly.

The answer will eventually boils down, and will be dependent on:
  • What programs will be used in future to open your files - will you use for example Illustrator always?
  • Is it very important to keep all objects attributes (like gradient filling, imported bitmaps, etc)?

Our graphic design shop with an emphasis on print production, eps is still very alive and well and we follow the same workflow: .ai files are the “native” file format and can only be opened by Illustrator. So there must be a reason beyond Adobe not being up to date. or go to this forum
**broken link removed**
Read more: What`s the difference between saving a vector as .AI and saving as .EPS? - Is there any benefit to saving as an .ai file? I know that .eps files can be opened in many programs, but .ai files, I think, would only be opened in Illustrator. Should I bother saving in an .ai format?
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back