Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

will this tranformer configuration work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacat

Hello.

black-box-jpg.31169

Inside this black plastic enclosure, i have a 5mΩ shunt which senses the current through the load (up to 16Arms loads).
In 16Arms, the shunt dissipates 1.28W and it gets hot.
I want to check if the enclosure melts when the shunt carries 16Arms for 12 hours, but I dont want to do it by
connecting a 16A load for 12 hours (which is a 4kW load since the mains voltage here is 220V).

So i though of the next configuration and wanted to have your opnion please.
black-box-2-jpg.31168

To make it clear, the transformer receives 12Vac and outputs 80mVac, and its designed to stand 16Arms at its output.
Moreover, I do need to have the enclosure connected to the mains during these 12 hours, since the mains drive
some other circuits that are inside the enclosure.
Thank you very much.

Attachments

• black box 2.JPG
    black box 2.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 230
  • black box.JPG
    black box.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Should work as long as the transformer is isolated input to output.

personal injury from potential electric shock perhaps?

Last edited:
I was also concerned about possible current from the transformer primary side to the power line common (e.g. you don't want to use a Variac).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back