Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will one of these new ZVS heating coil drivers drive a flyback transformer to generate HV

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpoopdog

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5v-...Driver-Board-Module-Coil-New/32619428560.html

I know roughly how they work, and i also know that ZVS type circuits exist for flyback transformer drivers, the kind that use TV transformers to generate high voltage, i dont know though if one translates to the needs of the other, i suspect it may since the page says it drives a jacobs ladder, but, its an aliexpress listing description so is hardly trustworthy or accurate.
I was wondering if its safe and even effective to use one of these drivers to power the hand wound primary for a tv transformer and generate HV in the same way you would with just a mosfet switching 12v at a couple KHZ or so on/off.
Or even just safe to try out without risk to the driver, disregarding any long term strain though.

Ill just note that those big black capacitors are in parallel with the coil and are rated at 50khz if thats at all relavent

Last edited:
Interesting idea.
The module you pointed to uses a 6 to 12 volt supply. I am certain the voltage across the coil will be small.
A TV flyback transformer needs 100s of volts across its primary. A small TV might be built for 400 volts and a large set 1200 volts on the primary.
Other wise I think it is a good idea.

I played with old CRT flyback's as a kid and I had no trouble running them on a 12-volt power source. All I did was add an independent set of heavier gauge windings (3 - 6 volts/turn) to work as the new low voltage primary.

With that setup, I had not trouble driving some of the larger flybacks so high that they had heavy coronal discharge coming off the secondary coil assy despite their heavy insulation and the actual HV leads would shoot out good 2 -3-inch streamers!:cool:

Most likely it will work.
10 turns on the flybacks core will probably be good for 12v, maybe 5 for a bit more voltage.
I did something similar a while back, I put togther a high voltage Tv flyback transformer supply for a vector monitor I made out of a old Tv.
I also played with another one that was made into a ion thruster, I must have been bored.

This is what these induction heaters put out, note the freq changes when an iron core is added.
IDUCT HTR.A1.JPG
INDUCT HTR.A2.JPG
INDUT HTR.B1.JPG
INDUCT HTR.B2.JPG

Thaught I would give it a try using the same wire gauge wound on an old Philips CTV LOPT. Using 12V it doesn't appear to work, no spark at all.
LOPT & RF heater. 12V.JPG

I did 10" sparks with an auto ignition coil (probably a 6V one) operated at 12 V with a 200 Hz (555 based) driver or it could have been an automobile vibrator. The sparks were jagged to a screwdriver about 10" away.

Just to support what the other members have said. I did a similar thing with a line output transformer: removed the primary and wound 10 + 10 turns of 18 SWG wire for the primary for a simple two transistor Royer inverter. It worked a treat. The beauty of a Royer inverter is that it is simple and extracts the maximum power out of a particular core.

spec

Looking at your 'scope pics debe this circuit appears to be operating at a few 100 hz, that might be a bit low for a lopty designed to run at 15khz, do you have a schem of the driver circuit?

Don't have a circuit for it but there isn't mutch to it. On 12V it draws about 10Amps with a piece of iron placed in the coil, It will heat up a screwdriver blade to red hot.

Hi again,

Ok no problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back