Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wifi Antenna Modification

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see direct proof that a single tree can block a WiFi signal by itself otherwise environmentally unencumbered.

Sceadwian, it is not at all unusual when installing for example a satellite dish for TV to locate it so there is not a single large tree blocking its path. You may want to give this a read. My neighbor had a friend install a dish in November when he got pissed at Cable TV Time Warner. It worked and I told them that when that huge maple grew foliage in the spring it wouldn't work. Soon as that single large maple began to get leaves his signal went to hell. A WiFi signal is much more forgiving in a residence and also is omnidirectional (out of the box). Walls depending on density will degrade the signal.

When I was experimenting with the cantenna designs I was working with a neighbor across the street and maybe 700 feet down the street. We used lasers to set up the path. Worked pretty well but even in severe rain or especially snow the signal strength degraded till it was not usable.

Lines of sight.

An imaginary line from the eye to a perceived object.
An unobstructed path between sending and receiving antennas.

I would think most people visiting this forum would understand line of sight and for those who choose a literal translation, they come to the right place to understand line of sight as it pertains to radio transmission theory.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back