Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why will BAV99 not clamp to Vcc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a retired CMOS IC Chip designer, I can assure you that all CMOS makers try to design their input pad protection devices to minimize latch-up, but, that is the goal, not the reality.

It is important to look at the publication dates of AN521 (1997) and TB3009 (2008). I suspect that Microchip started getting some complaints about their devices latching up, and published TB3009 to cover their backsides.

Also note that AN521 talks about injecting a few tens of uA into a PIN; not 10s of mA!!!!!

Last edited:
As a retired CMOS IC Chip designer, I can assure you that all CMOS makers try to design their input pad protection devices to minimize latch-up, but, that is the goal, not the reality.
Good. Then do you recommend that we clamp the input with a Schottky diode?

Good. Then do you recommend that we clamp the input with a Schottky diode?

It is a matter of degree. I would begin to worry if >10mA is ever injected into a CMOS input. If you are hooking a CMOS input to a CMOS output (powered by the same power supply), no problem. If you have a CMOS input that is returned to a power supply that can be On before the CMOS supply is, then you need to consider what might happen. If a CMOS input comes from an external interface that you touch (like an keypad), then I would always have some sort of series resistor with shunt diodes.

Have you ever heard of any such problem on a PIC?.

It is important to look at the publication dates of AN521 (1997) and TB3009 (2008). I suspect that Microchip started getting some complaints about their devices latching up, and published TB3009 to cover their backsides.

That's not the only one, it's just one I remembered off hand, there are many similar examples - it's also NOT a 1997 Application note, it's FAR older than that, it was updated in 97, hence the 'modern' date on it. If I remember correctly, it probably pre-dated Windows, and certainly pre-dated Windows PIC Programmers (as I wrote the first one - well before MicroChip even had any Windows tools).

Also note that AN521 talks about injecting a few tens of uA into a PIN; not 10s of mA!!!!!

I've never suggested injecting high currents - if you're not careful the PIC will be powered from the input signal, rather than it's supply rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back