Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why the voltmeter Shows this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electronman

Hi,

Why the voltmeter shows 12V while the above SW is open And was open before( I never closed it!)?

Thanks

Attachments

• rfr.PNG
    rfr.PNG
    20.4 KB · Views: 220
Does not make any sense to me!

Is C1 in a closed circuit so that we could say that at t=0 it is shorted? is it able to reach to 12v too at infinite times?

Last edited:
The voltmeter in your diagram is not real. To make it real, place a 10MΩ resistor across it.

Then it will begin at 12V then decay to zero.

The voltmeter in your diagram is not real. To make it real, place a 10MΩ resistor across it.

Then it will begin at 12V then decay to zero.

What do you mean really?! If it is not ideal so why the circuit is closed at place of C1?

I read 10.5 volts by my multimeter in real when the source voltage was 12V???!

Last edited:
What is t=0 charge on C1. Answer, 0vdc. It takes some load from voltmeter to charge it to -12 vdc so there will zero volts across meter.

Most all transient simulation programs start simulation with zero volts on caps. Your battery current would be near infinity at t=0 to charge the bottom cap. Some sim programs may abort with error for this.

If you want to talk real world, for a 10 meg ohm DVM, it would take over 50 hours for the DVM to get from 0 vdc to a reading of 10 vdc once battery was inserted. (this is assuming 100000u means 0.1 farad).

You have also discovered why you never want to leave a CMOS input of an I.C. open.

Last edited:
Mathematics is a wonderful tool to understand the complexity of the electrical behavior of a capacitor. The voltage across the capacitor is governed by V = Q/C where Q is the charge and C is the capacitance of the capacitor. The capacitor has not been charged. As a result, the charge on the capacitor is approximately equal to zero coulombs and by the definition of the voltage equation given above V = 0/C = 0. Hence, the voltage across the terminals of the capacitor is zero volts. The rest can be understood by applying Ohms Law (V = I *R). The internal resistance of a CAPACITOR can be modeled as a short when initially connected to a power source. I hope this assists you understand your question.

Last edited:
Mathematics is a wonderful tool to understand the complexity of the electrical behavior of a capacitor. The voltage across the capacitor is governed by V = Q/C where Q is the charge and C is the capacitance of the capacitor. The capacitor has not been charged. As a result, the charge on the capacitor is approximately equal to zero coulombs and by the definition of the voltage equation given above V = 0/C = 0. Hence, the voltage across the terminals of the capacitor is zero volts. The rest can be understood by applying Ohms Law (V = I *R). The internal resistance of a CAPACITOR can be modeled as a short when initially connected to a power source. I hope this assists you understand your question.

Great explination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back