Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why so many inverters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number17

Am I missing something? It seems everybody wants to build inverters these days. What is wrong with the local electricity?

I just don't get it.

What I mostly don't like is those people saying something like "plz give me full ckt for 500w invrter, thnks"

I see it more and more often.

Sometimes power goes out, and you are left in the dark for a day or two. Occasionally, you might want to run a compressor or power tools, and it isn't practical to run extension cords (or just too lazy). But mostly, I think people are anticipating higher rates, as Al Gore's Green Team pushes forward. We've been terrorized by the catastrophic visions, and soon we will be hit with the economic impact, which is ripe, considering the current state. Getting people to use electricity more responsibly, will be forced through a higher prices.

I doubt that I'll get to part ways completely with the electric company, but hope to negate some of the higher costs. Solar power here in Florida makes the most sense, wind isn't to reliable (very little, or way too much).

Thats normal for the most part. Many people think they know enough to build an inverter. But building a basic very poor quality one and one that can actually run useful things is far different. But then many here seem to think that having a 50 in 1 electronics kit as a kid qualifies them as full electronics engineers too!

Plus many of the schematics that can be found on the Internet are either incomplete or completely wrong. They are mostly theoretical designs created by someone who has never built an actual working inverter or are from ancient designs created decades ago for second rate electronics magazines.

What I mostly don't like is those people saying something like "plz give me full ckt for 500w invrter, thnks"

I see it more and more often.

I think you'll find with questions written like that, they are from 'Third World Countries'. No infrastructure or at best limited infrastructure.

It often students in India or Pakistan hoping for a quick fix for the otherwise unreliable and overstressed mains power situation.
Problem
1. Electricity is often stolen, still is an ongoing problem since power companies aren't paid for the electricity there's little motivation to keep it coming.
2. A UPS will make it worse, it too will add even more load to the overstrained source. An individual may see a benefit at the expense of their neighbors. After all you need to charge the battery...
3. Too poor to afford a UPS and under the misconception it's cheaper to build.

Stealing power is getting tougher A wide angle view of India
**broken link removed**

I don't know how you come up with all these pictures. The never fail to entertain.

Don't worry how he got the ladder there. Worry about how he will get out of there.

Strangely I feel that I would be compelled to have to clean that up and make it more efficient. :eek:

The first photo shows the guy using a bamboo ladder!! He's barefoot and wearing sandals with one leg through a rung!! That streetlamp housing is probably at ground potential too. The second photo shows many snipped pigtails. Both workers (stealers?) use both hands(gloveless) to handle wires/connections. All these dangerous maneuvers are likely to be acceptable in their nations probably because it's like the rows of teeth in a shark... when one is lost, there are others in line ready to climb back up the ladder!:rolleyes:

Am I missing something? It seems everybody wants to build inverters these days. What is wrong with the local electricity? I just don't get it.
When Asian companies like HarborFreight Tools sell inverters for pennies on the dollar, it's not worth the time and cost to build one.

There's a video on the net of three idiots climbing a pole to steal power and at one point they manage to form a conductor while passing tools to each other.

It is not uncommon in India (don't know about Pakistan) that the power shut down is taken by electrical maintenance staff, while attending on such densely wired poles. After work is completed and the person comes down, it is energized again. I fear it is not a stealing case.

It is not uncommon in India (don't know about Pakistan) that the power shut down is taken by electrical maintenance staff, while attending on such densely wired poles. After work is completed and the person comes down, it is energized again. I fear it is not a stealing case.
Why would you be in fear? It's the idiots on those ladders who should be in fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back