Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why so many inverters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you be in fear? It's the idiots on those ladders who should be in fear.
i meant, the photos are of genuine repairs and not theft cases.
we know theft cases even use hooks to steal. a bamboo with a wire hook at top and an insulated conductor brought down, per each wire.

Hmmm clever idea for as dangerous as it is! I haven't traveled the world enough to have seen power-line nightmares like in the photos above. I could understand where low income communities would dare anything to bring electricity into their homes just to have a light bulb or two operating during evenings. Some of the basic resources many of us take for granted are so desparately sought after by others living in less fortunate nations/cities.:(

It's not just poor countries. There are reports of homeless living in rich places like New York who have stolen power for basic survival.

So what makes you see big cities as a rich places?
Most of the poor and homeless in the country live in big cities.

Around here the annual income when compared to the rest of the county is rather low but we have far less homeless and crime rate than most places.

Are you kidding? How many millionairs do you think live in NYC as compared to oh say, Mumbai ( No offence intended to anyone, just illustrating the difference in wealth distribution ) Infastructure in Manhatten alone is worth more than all the resources of many entire states. How many MBA's financial centers, stock exchanges, seaports, etc. are there? Do you know what an apartment costs in the city? One has to be pretty darn well off to live there and not be homeless.

Last edited:
Hmmm clever idea for as dangerous as it is! I haven't traveled the world enough to have seen power-line nightmares like in the photos above. I could understand where low income communities would dare anything to bring electricity into their homes just to have a light bulb or two operating during evenings. Some of the basic resources many of us take for granted are so desparately sought after by others living in less fortunate nations/cities.:(
I think you have not got concept of fault service clearly

While attending to power line complaints, they would have a power shutdown for the sub-locality under their control, attend and then power up the lines
So during that time , it is just a mechanical structure. Hope I am now clear .

My electrical wires are under the ground like the telephone, the cable TV and internet cables and the water, sewer and natural gas lines. Then nobody can steal anything.

My electrical wires are under the ground like the telephone, the cable TV and internet cables and the water, sewer and natural gas lines. Then nobody can steal anything.

You mean underground robbery is not possible ? Once the robbing concept comes to mind of human being, he would learn methods and means.All technology he will misuse for fulfilling ones own goal. I always wish that a human should not fall to that extent of robbing.

You mean underground robbery is not possible ? Once the robbing concept comes to mind of human being, he would learn methods and means.All technology he will misuse for fulfilling ones own goal. I always wish that a human should not fall to that extent of robbing.

i agree with mr. mvs sarma

Nobody is going to dig up my street to steal some copper wire, coaxial TV cable or plastic water pipes.
Besides, all the poor people are on the other side of the world.

I suspect that digging up an underground power line in AG's area has the same fatal flaw as it would here. Everything underground is main distribution line voltages typically in the 7200 volt range.
Its pretty hard to tap one of those while its live! :eek:

And even if you did manage to tap one without killing yourself or knocking out power everywhere near you it not like street bums and simple thieves have HV step down transformers just lying around.
Heck I am into that high powered stuff and I cant even get one! :(

As far a thieves and homeless I have found that both tend to be that way from a rather obvious lack of desire to put forth any effort into being productive or useful. That alone rules out their trying to dig up a underground anything by hand! Its just too much work! :D

The homeless people in Toronto work very hard.
They clean car windshields when the cars are stopped at a red light.
A few people pay them.

Infrastructure in Manhatten alone is worth more than all the resources of many entire states. How many MBA's financial centers, stock exchanges, seaports, etc. are there? Do you know what an apartment costs in the city? One has to be pretty darn well off to live there and not be homeless

To me that just explains the higher average level of homeless per capita being that many cant make enough to live well there! :(
Thats also why any large city anywhere in the world has a higher level of poor and homeless than when compared to any rural area. The gross financial value doesn't make everyone wealthy it just make more super wealthy and the rest stay the same as any where else despite a higher cost of living.

$60K a year there is about the same living wage as $12K here. I dont know about you but making $12k is not that hard. $60K takes more to earn regardless of local economy and costs of living.

Nobody is going to dig up my street to steal some copper wire, coaxial TV cable or plastic water pipes.
Heh, heh I'm on my way to your neighborhood to make you eat those words! Look for a 500cu-in. 8Liter Dodge trailering this:
**broken link removed**

And if you have fences or shrubbery in the way then I'll rent this Tonka toy:
**broken link removed**

My street is going to be dug up soon. They are going to replace the wires and pipes with bigger ones and new paving, curbs and the lower parts of driveways. It will take a little more than 1 year.

It's not just poor countries. There are reports of homeless living in rich places like New York who have stolen power for basic survival.

Stealing power for basic survival... Just can't image something that would require stealing power. Fire does a good job for heating and cooking. Color TV and Nintendo aren't really survival requirements, which is what was in a homeless camp in Orlando, they 'relocated' a few years ago. They removed the service plate from a street light, and ran an extension cord off into their camp. Not sure it served other purposes, the video game is what stuck in my mind.

I've got a hunch that a good portion are homeless by choice, pretty low stress living, no bills, no boss, just basic needs and getting hassled by the cops. Some are probably wanted by the law, or well known sex offenders, who would get beaten severally if identified.

Most any place that hands out free food, cloths, blankets, and soap, usually also provide lists of resources, that these people can use to get off the streets. Most any church will help in anyway (except give out cash).

We get a lot of homeless people around here in the winter, and it's a small town. Wonder if they come from out of state, or too much competition in the big cities...

Basic survival means basic cooking and heating. Fire isn't always an option. Many homeless shelters are full/overflowing. Homeless people live near where they can find the resources they need. They don't have nintendo or color TV's. That's plain BS. Most homeless are dealing with physical and/or mental problems that you and I aren't.

Last edited:
Basic survival means basic cooking and heating. Fire isn't always an option. Many homeless shelters are full/overflowing. Homeless people live near where they can find the resources they need. They don't have nintendo or color TV's. That's plain BS. Most homeless are dealing with physical and/or mental problems that you and I aren't.

Well said Brownout. It may surprise many of you to know that majority of homeless are women and children.

I wrote a paper on this subject. Have a read if you want a real perspective. I actually interviewed people on the streets, police, med care workers and shelter workers.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/cardboard-lane2-doc.28448/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back