Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why no location?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HarveyH42 said:
Yeah, it is strange that a lot of people don't fill in the location. I'm proud of my country, and nothing to hide or be ashamed of. I've kind of noticed that the bulk of the no-location people, are also final-year project people, or homework people looking for a quick answer. These people don't usually return after getting shot down (do your own course work...). Of course, if somebody wanted to hide their location, just have to put in a bogus location, like Canada or UK. :)
I am not proud of our country, or rather, those who make the laws in our country.

Even ignoring the warmonger, we have a situation in which the laws are made for 90% of the money instead of even 50% of the population.

Last time I checked 10% of the US population controlled 90% of the money and the stats were sliding further in that direction. They put laws in to benefit the rich, while putting the smallest of bandaids on the gushing wound in their consciences.

D.

It is interesting to note that all posters on this thread have filled in their location, exept ZIGGY DAN.

We are all interested in electronics on this forum wether it is hobby or profession, so why afraid putting in the country where you live.

I think the location should be a mandatory field to be able to participate in this forum, so we can understand if there may be a language barrier, in explaining a particualr problem.

English is my second language too, I'm originally from the Netherlands, but also speak and write some German and French as well.

Nigel Goodwin said:
He's obviously greatly ashamed of being in the UK!.

That hit deep, I am not ashamed in the slightest of being a citizen of the UK, i'm proud but I am inclined to think people will judge my intellect upon the area of the UK where I live.

ZIGGY_DAN said:
That hit deep, I am not ashamed in the slightest of being a citizen of the UK, i'm proud but I am inclined to think people will judge my intellect upon the area of the UK where I live.

No one is interested in the area you live, it has no bearing on these forums, however a great many questions (and replies) are country specific - so country is all you need.

However, I don't know of any "intellectually challenged" areas of the UK anyway?.

It would be nice if people used their real names and locations, but it would be next to impossable to verify. I simply use Florida for location, as it gives enough information (sometimes make canadian jokes, and many of them spend the winter down here, learn how to drive!). Mostly, I think it's the new members that don't fill in location, but do later after a few visits. People find their way here, searching for answers to problems. Their intial focus is on the problem that brought them here, not the forum or comunity. We really need to be more patient with the new members, and give them a chance to see what's expected as proper posting. The information posted here is in no way secure. I've see many search hits linking to this site, so how much information an individual is comfortable floating on the web, should be entirely their choice. I don't give my city, don't need people knocking on my door unexpected (small town).

One possiblility that has not been adressed here is that young people are continually being urged not to give any personal details over the internet for fear of being targeted by paedophiles, perverts and kiddie fiddlers.
As a result, the younger posters are reluctant to divulge such information in case one of these low-lifes reaches through the screen and...
I leave the rest to your imagination!!!

JimB

Somehow I doubt disclosing your country will automatically put you at risk; as long as you don't give your full name it's very unlikely that someone can actually track you down. Of course it's possible to track IP addresses but giving your country won't make any difference to this.

I doubt that having a plug-in that posts a country's flag would help much as I only know a few by heart. It should be made as a requirement in the registration field when joining and setting up one's account.

If it becomes mandetory then people will start entering silly things like The Internet or somewhere.

Like I've said before, there should be a first language section; location means nothing, there are plenty of foreigners in the UK who can hardly speak English.

Language is important, but in most cases it's not what I have a problem with. The use of the language (English, German, French, SMS, etc.) becomes apparent in the first sentence. Usually no problem accommodating this. (Well, SMS is annoying. :mad: )

But, when someone posts "where can I buy..." a geographic reference is essential. I hate it when I take the trouble to suggest a supplier in California and the OP replies 'thanks but I'm in Serbia'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back