Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why moving isnt a good idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
a cd rack seems favourite but i didnt think of a stick i might be able to fix a stand with a stick on :D

Good to see you back, LG.

Per your desire to swap out the switches on your boat with cap types:

13 is 52 years ago for me. In that time I have spent many years at sea (boats and ships) and an over-riding mantra was "simplicity" in the control of vessel vitals (propulsion, steering, navigation and, of course, flotation ;)).

While cap switches are :cool:, they are needlessly complex, i.e., far more subject to failure than a simple mechanical switch. I would counsel you to reconsider the cap switch refit.

That said, you're a lucky bloke indeed to have such a fine lab and equipment at your age.

It's always a pleasure to follow your posts (which I guess are now be considered "messages").

CBB

Last edited:
hmmm you may have a point, i might tweak my idea. when i post a pic of the boat you will see the problem better, what i might do is have cap switched by the wheel wich isnt under cover and have back up normal switches in the cabin, they are mainly nav lights and motor controll to lift outboard up and down so the up and down is only used normaly dureing launch and retrevel but i might just go with normal switches

I'm with cowboybob, normal switches are likely to be FAR more reliable - I wouldn't like to trust cap switches under any conditions, but particularly when it could be dangerous if (when!) they failed.

Nice to see you again LG. Can't see your pictures, guess they'll reappear soon. House moving's hard work, I've done it on average every 2 years since I've been an adult, lets see, that must be about 15 times now... Just find a place you like and stay there, don't be like me! Seeing you are 13 now, same age as my granddaughter, a dancer, hoping she'll be famous one day so you might see her on tv or stage :) Re PIC programming, I looked back over the code I wrote a few months ago, didn't understand any of it - and it's well commented! Amazing how easy it is to forget if you recently learned how. Lucky you to have a boat - wish I did (and somewhere to float it).

off school untill next week!! only because i am starting another school. spoke with dad he agrees with all of you :( BUT rather than kill off my project i am going to replace the cabin lights with led ones and put some led lights under the side rails on the deck for night fishing and those with have cap touch switches :D there isnt any lights there now we use storm lamps and torches so if they fail we can go back to the old way :D.
the boats really dads but it feels like mine lol (same as the workshop)

LG

if you unload the trailer of muck into the compost bins i will help you finish of the workshop
Sounds like a good deal to me!

JimB

Some of the machines I have worked on have had special switches fitted for very high repitition rate, to reduce fatigue and make the switch last they use an infra red led and photodiode, when you touch the switch the beam breaks and gives an o/p, might be a little ott for you though.

Cowboy, I havent spent as much time at sea as you have, but I did own a boat for a while, during which I did my skippers offshore licence.

I am envious now.

Since we moved the old house last year my wife made me pack up and burn down my electronics workshop so all I was left with was my computer room of which now she has packed that up as well and started turning that room into more of 'her space'. :arghh:

Right now I am down to one drawer of my computer desk for an in house storage area and workstation with all of my test gear and parts all crated and boxed up out in my shop on pallet shelving where I can't find anything when I want or need it.:banghead::mad:

Ah, marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.

Can't wait to show you pictures of my new(old Meyer) snowplow on my tractor. Done any welding lately? Or, are you just doing laundry? :D

John

Actually I spent the day rebuilding an old International pull behind sickle mower I got two summers ago and got that setup on my old Minneapolis Moline UTS tractor that has been sitting over at my brothers unused for a number of years. :joyful:

So at least she has not taken over my shop yet but to be honest I do have a pile of her furniture for the new house taking up most of my available floor space. :(

About two months ago I came across a whole lot of good used furniture on a local government surplus auction at our local air base. She had me put in a minimum bid and sure enough $30 got her a whole flatbed truck and trailer load of 15 items of furniture. :oops:

There are two of us in the house but the living room now has seating for at least 10. Each cat has it's own full sized couch. She has her own poofy overstuffed chair and I have my own reclining chair. There is so much frigging furniture I can hardly see my 60" HDTV from 10 feet away now. :rolleyes:

First off, LG I like your project room. Wish I had that. I'm in the kitchen working on my latest project:)

Actually I spent the day rebuilding an old International pull behind sickle mower I got two summers ago and got that setup on my old Minneapolis Moline UTS tractor that has been sitting over at my brothers unused for a number of years. :joyful:

So at least she has not taken over my shop yet but to be honest I do have a pile of her furniture for the new house taking up most of my available floor space. :(

About two months ago I came across a whole lot of good used furniture on a local government surplus auction at our local air base. She had me put in a minimum bid and sure enough $30 got her a whole flatbed truck and trailer load of 15 items of furniture. :oops:

There are two of us in the house but the living room now has seating for at least 10. Each cat has it's own full sized couch. She has her own poofy overstuffed chair and I have my own reclining chair. There is so much frigging furniture I can hardly see my 60" HDTV from 10 feet away now. :rolleyes:

Women have a strange way of working their way into the heart, it's not alway's food but, (Good though.) But, with that said, it's 100 percent me and 100 percent her,

50/50 I don't understand, if your both 100% into it? It will not be a struggle.

To make it work, requires friendship........and working with a good friend is not a struggle, it's fun. :)

Regards,
kv

Yea well on the new shed I'm making I get the back 3 metres for the new power room and dad's(me) play room for my electronics, cnc and of course my moonshine stills. I bought a heavyduty set of shelves so I can store my work gear inbetween jobs and also to keep tabs on the stocks etc. Came home oneday to unload only to find the shelving was now a book shelf and no room to put my gear. The answer I got finish my bloody shed or this is my room, so starting getting the shed finished only to be told why are you wasting your time on that go do this this this this this and this....... The shed is now near lockup and those 2 bifold doors for the front doors I asked where do you want them placed still no answer. I just say I'll soon have enough to get the first concrete slab done only to be told we cant afford it.

Yet my heavyduty shelf is still a bookshelf

O'well I got my other shed up the hill and it's peaceful as the other 1/2 cant be bothered to walk up the hill and the roasting I get after is worth while as I had a good day.

Decided well if I ever want my shelf back I'll need to find the $$$$$ for a 6x9 metre slab, wire for powering up the shed so I'm working on making a firewood saw and any branch under 4" diameter will be fodder for new saw. That should provide enough cash to to finish the shed but will I get my piece and quite....... Atleast I may get my shelf back......

Are they actually reels?

Any picture?

Hey LG I came across this and thought of the mention made here of capacitive switches. **broken link removed** if you go up a level there are some good looking projects (you have to join to see the pictures, and the translation can be a bit strange, such as "son" where "wire" is meant).

Attachments finally showing again. Lucky you having such a big workshop! When I was your age I had a big piece of chipboard on top of a small desk in my bedroom with just enough room to get a chair between the end of my bed and the desk. Had a home made 'scope from the Babini book "how to make a solid state oscilloscope" (well ok I was 15/16 when I built that) balanced on the window-sill. Just enough of those little drawers to hold resistors organised by base value (so all multiples of 1 together, all multiples of 1.2 together, etc), capacitors by type and other bits and pieces by size... old coffee jars full of god knows what. Screws mainly I think. All cramped into my little bedroom.

My mrs wanted me to build a project room, or 'lab, now I have it she moans I spend too much time here.
At least I have a good excuse, 'you wanted me to have a lab love, so I'm using it'.

My mrs wanted me to build a project room, or 'lab, now I have it she moans I spend too much time here.
At least I have a good excuse, 'you wanted me to have a lab love, so I'm using it'.

Similar here. I just went and bought the material to stat building a 12' x 20' workshed on the old house for me to have a place to play again. :joyful:

However the wife is already planning on how many more of her things she can fill it with. :mad:

Like I said, this is where I will continue to work, until she moves my oldest daughters stuff out. They already claimed my 12x24 living room, that I said before moving in, this is my "Den" only Bears are allowed in here.

Now look at me, I can't even get to my roll top desk, in the living room.

kv

Attachments

• photo-9.JPG
    photo-9.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 240
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back