Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why moving isnt a good idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
i like yours alot Nigel, how did you get a paper cpc catalog!!!! i took the carpet out as i was worried about static i guess i could get dad to put something else down at some point tho :D, i also really like the bay's with your benches i might copy that :D

LG

Here's a couple more pictures, looking the other way - as you can see it's not as big as Ghostman's workshop :D

Attachments

• 09092013291.jpg
    09092013291.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 256
  • 09092013292.jpg
    09092013292.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 256
ours isnt very big infact way smaller than the one we had, maybe its the phone pic makes it look bigger???? i really like your layout i might have to rethink mine! i need to get some lighting sorted out tho as it isnt very good, dads magnify thingy takes up loads of room but he is blind as a bat and has to use it for most things lol

i like yours alot Nigel, how did you get a paper cpc catalog!!!! i took the carpet out as i was worried about static i guess i could get dad to put something else down at some point tho :D, i also really like the bay's with your benches i might copy that :D

We've had a paper CPC catalogue for years, perhaps it's because we're a trade customer (although the prices aren't any cheaper).

The flooring here is some of the old carpet tiles from out of the shop, which seem pretty reasonable.

The benches are like that so you can get round three sides of them for working on TV's, compared with the old workshop (which was built in the 60's) they are wider but not as deep - so as to better suit LCD TV's. I would have liked them wider still, and longer as well, but the small size of the room constrained what could be done.

Each bench has switched sockets on the front, switched by a fused spur switch, and fed from isolation transformers. On the sides are four way extension sockets, un-switched and un-isolated. So items you're working on plug in the front, and you can turn it ON and OFF, test equipment is plugged in the side and un-switched.

ours isnt very big infact way smaller than the one we had, maybe its the phone pic makes it look bigger???? i really like your layout i might have to rethink mine! i need to get some lighting sorted out tho as it isnt very good, dads magnify thingy takes up loads of room but he is blind as a bat and has to use it for most things lol

Lighting is two LED panels, with a third separately switched over the computer.

The layout was based on what was existing in the previous workshop, scaled down to fit, and with my own modifications based on years of using the old workshop.

isolated sockets hmmmm now that would be a great idea! shame the transformers are £££££ carpet tiles would be fairly easy for us to add later, still not sure about the static tho. once the house is done up i am hope we keep the static caravan round the back of the out building's that would make a really cool workshop! :D:D might see if dad can help me later add some more benches, still have loads of gear and stuff to unpack and bring into workshop, i like seeing pics of peoples workshops they always have good ideas you can nick :D

nigel, i too like your 'shops layout. MUCH clearer and cleaner than say, mine....

Hello there Little Ghostman, Nigel,

LG:
Wow looks like you do a lot of projects there. Maybe post some of them here too.

Nigel:
Nice setup there. I keep my computer box on the floor now as it frees up desk space. Just the monitor on the desk top.

isolated sockets hmmmm now that would be a great idea! shame the transformers are £££££ carpet tiles would be fairly easy for us to add later, still not sure about the static tho. once the house is done up i am hope we keep the static caravan round the back of the out building's that would make a really cool workshop! :D:D might see if dad can help me later add some more benches, still have loads of gear and stuff to unpack and bring into workshop, i like seeing pics of peoples workshops they always have good ideas you can nick :D

I used three 1KW isolation transformers we'd had 'kicking around' for a number of years, we were given them by a friend.

He worked for a company involved with the railway infrastructure (but he didn't work for RailTrack), and they were throwing the transformers out, so rather than see them go to waste he asked if we would like them. He salvaged loads of stuff - it was really disgusting - for example they bought a load of 500W floodlights on big tripods for a job they were doing, and then just threw them all in a skip afterwards :mad: Those were one of the many things he rescued.

My benches are made out of 3x3 framing timber, with 3/4 inch chipboard on top and covered by white faced 1/8 inch MDF.

That looks as though you've made the best of the space you have nige, so do you work alone or is there more of one of you in the 'shop.
The pc round the corner looks tidy, I need to find a way of having my laptop on the bench without obscuring my test gear.
I walked into a repair centre in town back in the 80's when crt tv's where prevalent and found one bench 2 feet from a wall, with 3 engineers working at it, the 2 on the end had to make space if the guy at the back wanted to get out, there was a mirror on the wall opposite, at first I wondered then realised it was so you could see the screen while working on a set.

If only I had a proper bench and test gear when I was at school.

Last edited:
That looks as though you've made the best of the space you have nige, so do you work alone or is there more of one of you in the 'shop.
The pc round the corner looks tidy, I need to find a way of having my laptop on the bench without obscuring my test gear.
I walked into a repair centre in town back in the 80's when crt tv's where prevalent and found one bench 2 feet from a wall, with 3 engineers working at it, the 2 on the end had to make space if the guy at the back wanted to get out, there was a mirror on the wall opposite at first I wondered then realised it was so you could see the screen.

There's mostly just me in the workshop, but Paul as well when he's not out in his van :D

The old workshop had mirrors at the front of the benches, so you could see the picture while you adjusted it round the back - particularly important in the days of non-PIL colour TV sets. I didn't have the space here to waste on mirrors, and the need for them doesn't exist for LCD sets.

If only I had a proper bench and test gear when I was at school.

I used to build projects on my bed when I lived at my parents house, I shared a room with two brothers.

Hello there Little Ghostman, Nigel,

LG:
Wow looks like you do a lot of projects there. Maybe post some of them here too.

Nigel:
Nice setup there. I keep my computer box on the floor now as it frees up desk space. Just the monitor on the desk top.

i will do a post of my latest one when i start it. i want to try a cap touch control panel for the boat nothing too fancy but would solve the problem of switch corrosion.

and yeah i am really lucky to have the chance to have a home workshop, dad is pretty cool like tho, although he does make me help around the house and stuff as kind of payment lol but i dont mind

Heres my new bench, when I got married last year I decided when we got a new pad I'd have a proper bench for the first time in years.
The bench is made from 3 sheets of 3/4 mdf and a box of screws, there are shelves at one side underneath and the pigeon holes on top are free and can be moved around.
For some reason I need 2 'scopes, I have a fair bit of test stuff I put togther knocking aboutt too, some of that 20 years or more since.
I'd have loved this at your age LG, I wasnt allowed electronics in the house like Nige, after I burned a hole in the lino in the kitchen I was banished to the washhouse, not many even know what a washhouse is!

P1010346.JPG

Heres my repair ins :), except for the piggies but including the dalek.

P1010348.JPG

Heres my new bench, when I got married last year I decided when we got a new pad I'd have a proper bench for the first time in years.
The bench is made from 3 sheets of 3/4 mdf and a box of screws, there are shelves at one side underneath and the pigeon holes on top are free and can be moved around.

Nice! :D

I'll post mine when I've finished rebuilding it - I have three small rooms - the smallest with a 40" Sony LCD mounted on the wall and the largest with a homebuilt CNC machine taking up most of the workbench space (which I need to finish off building).

Unfortunately a change in my Public Liability cover has all but caused me to cease trading for the moment. :(

*Edit - hey Dr Pepper - I see you have a Weir power supply - great bits of kit. I have four now (two of the 30v/2A or 15v 4A models, another one which doesn't work but looks cook and some kind of hybrid Weir supply consisting of lots of push buttons and two separate supplies in one case).

Cheers nige, wasnt expensive and does the job well.

Well spotted mr bits, its a weir ok, and its a dual o/p 30v 2a or single o/p 60v 1a, I have the manual for it and it is 2 supplies running off 1 transformer, which can either be seriesed or paralleled, it vapourised a pic when I first used it there was crud in the voltage pot.
Its a good reliable piece of kit, the one next to it is one I built in '89 I think it was epe, that has a plug in to3 transistor on the back, plugin for a good reason.

Someone on here has a really big weir I think its 50 amp or so.

I'm fortunate to be round the corner from cpc, I go on my pushbike :)

Last edited:
anyone got any tips for storing reels of smd components? what about some kind of stand? i have around 60 reels to sort out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back