Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why message cannot be found in CAN database (.dbc text file) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jani12

I have CAN database (dbc file). It's a text file. The extension of this file is dbc. When it is opened in Vector CANdb++ Editor, J1939 messages and CAN IDs are populated.

However, some of the CAN IDs that are in the CANdb++ Editor could not be found in the .dbc text file,

I open the .dbc text file, I search for one of the CAN IDs but it is not found. In the search field, I had entered the CAN ID in decimal.

In .dbc text file, messages start with BO_

I was expecting to find CAN id in one of rows that start with BO_

Why does this message show up in CANdb++ editor but not in the .dbc text file?

This is standard SAE J1939 message that is broadcasted on vehicle CAN bus. The message is SAS, Steering Angle Sensor Information. Message CAN ID is:

0x18F0 1D13

Maybe just maybe it can't be found to keep inexperienced people like you from messing a system up. When I say inexperienced think about how you didn't understand castor is what returns a vehicle to driving straight. Steering and braking are not something to mess with in a car or truck, without years of experience or schooling.

Not trying to be mean, but you need to think about what your doing, for the safety of others on the road.

Hi, the CAN ID might be defined in a different format in the .dbc file than in the CANdb++ Editor. Double-check the format of the CAN ID in the CANdb++ Editor and ensure that you are searching for it in the same format in the .dbc file.

Or, the CAN ID might be defined in a different message than the one you are searching for. In the CANdb++ Editor, check the message name or description associated with the CAN ID and search for that message in the .dbc file instead of just searching for the CAN ID.

Or, the .dbc file might be incomplete or corrupted, causing the missing CAN ID or message. Check if there are any errors or warnings in the CANdb++ Editor when you open the .dbc file. If there are, try fixing the errors or restoring a backup of the .dbc file.

or, the CAN ID might not be defined in the .dbc file at all. Check if the CAN ID is defined in any other related files or databases that may be used in conjunction with the .dbc file.

It's also possible that the CAN ID is defined in the .dbc file in a different way than you expected. In the .dbc file, messages start with "BO_" (short for "Base Object") followed by a unique message identifier. You can try searching for the message identifier instead of the CAN ID itself. Additionally, some .dbc files may use more advanced features like message signals or environment variables that can further complicate finding the definition of a particular CAN ID.

I found the SAS message in the .dbc file. Thank you!

Format of the CAN ID in the Vector CANdb++ Editor is:
1676690954393.png

Most significant bit is 0.

Format of the CAN ID in the .dbc file is: 2565872915
which is 0x98F01D13
Most significant bit is 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back