Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why B>E / E>B?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

Why is the current in transistor represented as:
B>E in NPN
E>B in PNP

Why C>E; C>B or something else?

B- Base
C-Collector
E- Emitter

B>E in NPN
E>B in PNP
No.
The base current is less than the emitter current.
The base voltage is more positive than the emitter voltage for a turned on NPN transistor.
The emitter voltage is more positive than the base voltage for a turned on PNP transistor.

No.
The collector voltage is less than the base voltage for a saturated transistor.

B>E in NPN
E>B in PNP

B- Base
C-Collector
E- Emitter

This is a very fundamental question which is related to solid state electronics. There is a lot of physical event occurring inside transistor, like Hall Effect, Avalanche Effect, hole-electron displacements, hole-electron diffusion, etc...
I suggest you read a Wikipedia article about this to start with.

Sorry Everybody....it was my vague way of expressing my question

I just want to know why in the Diagrammatic Representation of Transistor,
the current directions are denoted by an arrow >
i,e,. Base to Emitter in Npn Transistor
Emitter to Base in Pnp Transistor?

my question is is why not current direction is denoted as Collector to emitter?(because even that would mean the same)
:)

Because the current flows in the arrow direction. Doesn't that make any sense? Is there any better notation that you can suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back