Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Who made the greatest contribution to electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.
D.J. said:
Hi Roboticinfo,

Edison wasn't the inventor of the incandescent light bulb? :shock:

Ya, get the name of the real inventor, this is interesting.

Was it one of those things were the European guy was stuck in traffic, while Edison was getting the patent.

D.J.
I knew two inventors were competing, but I didn't know that Edison won due to trafic Jam :shock: :lol:

I still think the transistor is the bigest invention.Almost evryting now contains transistors.Whithout the transitor there wod be no cell phones. (now cell phones have prety powerful procesors that can make good 3D graphics).

And the vacum tube is a prety good one too.They also make an good way of displaying data (CRT or monitors in idiot language).Im using it right now

Someone Electro said:
I still think the transistor is the bigest invention.Almost evryting now contains transistors.Whithout the transitor there wod be no cell phones. (now cell phones have prety powerful procesors that can make good 3D graphics).

And the vacum tube is a prety good one too.They also make an good way of displaying data (CRT or monitors in idiot language).Im using it right now
That's what I ment with
They are still in use, right in front of your eyes!
:lol:

Jay,

The term, being stuck in traffic is, just a funning saying I've heard many poeple refer to.

It happened many times before( Joseph Henry & Samual Morse, Tesal & Marconi) when two people where trying to invent the same thing at the same time, and when they both figured it out at the same time, ( or one just stole the idea from the other ) their was a race to the patent office to get their idea out their first.

The person who was late is said to be, stuck in traffic. :lol:

Who was the european guy who invented the light bulb, are you talking about Tesla and his flouescent light, or someone else?

Regards,

D.J.

D.J. said:
Jay,

The term, being stuck in traffic is, just a funning saying I've heard many poeple refer to.

It happened many times before( Joseph Henry & Samual Morse, Tesal & Marconi) when two people where trying to invent the same thing at the same time, and when they both figured it out at the same time, ( or one just stole the idea from the other ) their was a race to the patent office to get their idea out their first.

The person who was late is said to be, stuck in traffic. :lol:

Who was the european guy who invented the light bulb, are you talking about Tesla and his flouescent light, or someone else?

Regards,

D.J.
Oh crap... :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm sorry I didn't know that Term.

We know there was another guy with same type of LightBulb (not Tesla), they invented it independantly (I can't spell that...) of each other, and Edison had it patented first... :wink:

This is the guy who invented the first light bulb

Sir Humphrey Davy of England invented the first electric carbon arc lamp in 1801.

My vote goes to Boole

In 1854 George Boole Introduced a formalism that eventually became Boolean Algebra.

Maybe a bit boring but essential for logic circuits. Transistors may have been confined to linear applications without it.

Not bad for a mid-19th century Irish preacher :wink:

Either him or Charles Babbage (the analytical engine)
or Alan Turing (Founder of computer science, mathematician, codebreaker, weird thinker)

I guess that's three votes then :?: :wink:

Samuel Morse

Samuel Morse in my opinion made the most groundbreaking contribution to electronics. If he had not recognized that signals could be generated by pulsing voltages we wouldn't have serial communication with computers, cd players, etc.

And what about Galvany? Without him we wouldn't have Electricity stored in Batteries! And that would be a problem, especialy in these "Portable" days :lol:

This question is quite hard...I immediatly thought Tesla for all of the forementioned reasons, but after paging through the postings it seems that the "most profound contributor to the field of electricity and/or electronics" should be traced back, because without the predecessor the "newbie" would be nullified. Just look at the discovery of DNA for an example...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back