Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Who can help in (Prepaid electricity meter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

admain

A prepaid electricity meter using microcontrollers. It stops the flow of electricity when the prepaid amount is over such as in the prepaid telefone system..

please if any circuit for my project in the collegue>>
best regards..

What a stupid idea. Who wants to keep recharging the meter, or worse have to go down to the electricity to store to buy a new one, and have to change it with the expired one. Electricity is no damn good, if it is not immediately available on demand.

the simplest way would be to use a mechanical kilowatthour meter then count every rotation using optical sensor, upon reaching predetermined count proportional to prepaid kilowatthour a magnetic contactor disables the circuit.

Papabravo said:
What a stupid idea. Who wants to keep recharging the meter, or worse have to go down to the electricity to store to buy a new one, and have to change it with the expired one. Electricity is no damn good, if it is not immediately available on demand.
A bad idea for you. A great idea for the power company.

It's a commonly available scheme - often put in by the electricity companies when people have trouble paying the bill. You can buy the cards at local shops in the area.

Actually people have been pushing around the idea for EV charging stations. Otherwise, billing people is difficult.

One legal complication is that most states have laws preventing you from profiting from reselling the power in a submetering arrangement. For example, an apartment complex might pay $5000 for power one month. There are a number of different billing schemes that they can use to pass the cost on but at least Texas law prevents them from billing in a way where the sum is over $5000. So the meter scheme has some trouble paying for itself.

Well, RV parks aren't subject to submetering law. In fact they have some trouble collecting from people using the outlets. A parking meter-type arrangement might have to charge like 10x what the power cost to pay for itself though. Still, it's not a bad project at all.

Oznog said:
Actually people have been pushing around the idea for EV charging stations. Otherwise, billing people is difficult.

One legal complication is that most states have laws preventing you from profiting from reselling the power in a submetering arrangement. For example, an apartment complex might pay $5000 for power one month. There are a number of different billing schemes that they can use to pass the cost on but at least Texas law prevents them from billing in a way where the sum is over $5000. So the meter scheme has some trouble paying for itself.

Well, RV parks aren't subject to submetering law. In fact they have some trouble collecting from people using the outlets. A parking meter-type arrangement might have to charge like 10x what the power cost to pay for itself though. Still, it's not a bad project at all.
Well that explains it. Excuse my cultural insensitivity. I've never had trouble paying my electric bill and I've never been to an RV Park. Someone mentioned cards; like SIM cards on a cellphone? I previously envisioned haveing to detach the meter and take it to a payment location. What would happen to your power while the card or meter was being changed. It might be most inconvenient to have the power off while changing cards.

Here in the UK it is common practice for a household on low income to have a pre-pay meter for gas and electric, in this way they will not run up large bills they have no chance of paying off............. It has been done for around 30 years and works very well........... The point is the system could be adapted to just about any use

A prepaid electricity meter using microcontrollers. It stops the flow of electricity when the prepaid amount is over such as in the prepaid telefone system..

Talk about feeling old...I was visualizing a coin operated switch box, like on the old vibrating beds in some motels. :D

Ken

What I think is weird is that this is exactly what the OP wrote 2½ years ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back