Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which of the figure for DMA block diagram is correct? I am confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
First figure-:

**broken link removed**

Second figure-:
**broken link removed**

My confusion-:
in first figure how does data transfer between I/O and memory occurs? Neither IO can send data nor receive data according to that figure as it is not connected to memory.
(Does it go the DMAC route??) I am still confused because I can't digest those 3 lines from DMAC and IO device. I think there must be only 2 lines there DREQ from io to dmac and DACK from dmac to io.
in the second figure, why there is way from memory to io only but what if I want to transfer data from io to memory? how do we do that?

In the first diagram, the three lines will be address, data and control busses.

There are various schemes, but in some way a DMA controller has to intercept and be able to override the address, I/O and memory control signals, to be able to do transfers outside of the CPU programmed instructions - but still pass the control lines through for normal CPU access.

The data bus may be common and used directly, eg. by the DMA controller commanding a memory read and I/O write (or vice versa) while the CPU is not accessing the data bus, or it could work as a proxy and eg. do synchronous accesses to memory and separate async access to the I/O device, storing and transferring a word in whichever way is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back