Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which IR Remote is very cheap and common?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueroomelectronics

Looking for an IR Remote to include with my PIC kits that support IR. Velleman make an 2 channel IR remote for about $15 but I know you can get cheap universal remotes with dozens of buttons for about $7.
Looking for...
  • I would like the least expensive remote that you've seen commonly available in your area.
  • Supports Philipls RC5 protocol
  • A 5 button joystick type area (Up,Dn,L,R,enter) would be nice
  • Number pad
  • Not too many buttons
  • Smaller the better
I was thinking of including it with the Mongoose (Robot), Junebug (PIC Lab) as a bundle, maybe a T shirt & screwdriver thrown in for good measure.
*The IR sensor on the Junebug is 38KHz and with a simple cable you could use the 18F1320 on Junebug to control the 18F2525 on the Mongoose (TTL level serial wired)

RC5 uses a 36K carrier. Will that actually work with your 38K receiver?

If it does, then I suggest you consider RC6 which is the protocol that MS MCE uses. There are tons of those remotes on ebay - there must be a volume source. Other than small, those remotes meet all your other needs,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back