Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which capacitor is this?

andreasmg13

Hello techs,
I hope this is the right place for this type of post!

I have this capacitor, which I need to buy a substitute for.

I know next to nothing about electronics, but I'm taking a crack at fixing a monitor. When I turn it on, it will flip back off and on in a rhythmical manner. I'm guessing it might be a bad capacitor in either the monitor itself or the power supply cable.

Now I've gone ahead and removed a capacitor. I don't think it looks blown, though, but who knows.

It says
X3228
35T

Im guessing it's a 220pF (or 22?), 35V, SMD electrolyte capacitor. I have no clue what the X3228 signifies though.

Any help is much appreciated!
Kind regards,
Andreas

Attachments

• smd1.jpg
    smd1.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 113
  • smd.jpg
    smd.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 124
It's 220uF 35V electrolytic, but the chances of fixing something by replacing a random component are pretty remote - you've far more chance of causing further damage.

Bear in mind, such capacitors are polarised, and must be fitted the correct way round.

A monitor going on/off on its own usually indicated a bad capacitor in the power supply. Those are usually the larger types, not the real small ones. Look for bulging tops on the capacitors. Usually one replaces all of them in the PSU, because once one goes, the rest are likely to go soon as well.
The one you hold in the picture is 220uF (not pF), 35V. Those small ones are usually not the culprit...

Most of the time monitor issues like this can be linked to backlight power circuit or burned out backlight (LED or CFL), this is high voltage circuit be careful.
you can check by disconnecting connector of backlight, check if any component is over heating.

The "flipping back off" is entering a protection state from either
- The supply itself has a fault, or
- The circuitry fed by the supply has a fault.
You need to diagnose which one is at fault by disconnecting supply from load and probe to discern.

I have this capacitor, which I need to buy a substitute for.

If you "know next to nothing about electronics" and "it didn't look blown", how did you narrow down the problem to this capacitor? Did you find someone online with exactly the same issue and they did the diagnosis? Was this capacitor detached from the PCB when you opened the housing?

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back