Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which IDE should I use to program a bare ARM chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sashvat

Hi guys, I want to be able to program a bare chip ARM chip (I have STM32 ARM chips) and other necessary items like the ST Link V2. I heard IDE's like the Keil-MDK are all limited to just 32kB of code and when I make code of greater space, I need to pay for it. Can you suggest some IDE's that are free and don't have any restrictions as such?

Thank you

There is an ARM toolchain that works with the CodeBlocks IDE?

I've never used it myself, but it may be worth a look.

This shows it running on linux, the Windows appearance should be similar, I think:

There is an ARM toolchain that works with the CodeBlocks IDE?

I've never used it myself, but it may be worth a look.

This shows it running on linux, the Windows appearance should be similar, I think:

Thanks a lot, is Attolic TrueStudio a good IDE to program?

Keil is the best just the limit hurts
Code Blocks has big learning curve

Keil is the best just the limit hurts
Code Blocks has big learning curve
so is Code Blocks good or not? I don't see ARM Programming written any where on the website, so I just wanted to confirm with you? What are your thoughts on Atollic TrueStudio?

Code blocks is really hard to setup on windows.
I liked atollic the best

Arduino ide is good for blue pill
I have a question related to this, lets say I build my own MC development board with the STM32F103C8T6 the same used on the Blue pill, can I directly plug in the built-at-home MC dev board and code it using Arduino? Or do I need to something else to make it run Arduino Code?

I have a question related to this, lets say I build my own MC development board with the STM32F103C8T6 the same used on the Blue pill, can I directly plug in the built-at-home MC dev board and code it using Arduino? Or do I need to something else to make it run Arduino Code?

A simple google tells you all you need to know:

**broken link removed**

As that explains, the STM32 includes a serial bootloader - I would also suggest you copy the circuit from there, as you're basically duplicating it anyway, as it includes jumpers for run/loading etc. You could also take the opportunity to correct the few minor defects mentioned in the Wiki.

If you're planning programming via the serial port (rather than flashing a USB bootloader) I would also suggest you add a socket so you can plug an FTDI module straight in, to save any messing about.

A simple google tells you all you need to know:

**broken link removed**

As that explains, the STM32 includes a serial bootloader - I would also suggest you copy the circuit from there, as you're basically duplicating it anyway, as it includes jumpers for run/loading etc. You could also take the opportunity to correct the few minor defects mentioned in the Wiki.

If you're planning programming via the serial port (rather than flashing a USB bootloader) I would also suggest you add a socket so you can plug an FTDI module straight in, to save any messing about.
ok, so without the boot loader, no STM32F103C8T6 chip will work with the Arduino IDE right?

There is only one thing if the TS is having problems loading code on a blue pill ?
How do you think it will be better making your own board the same divers used to load code with a programmer going to have same problems.

And the blue pill can be programmed serial or a ST-link I used serial and the Arduino ide I've used ST-link too
But using Arduino ide is simple and not that hard to setup.

I think I'd work on getting it going with the Arduino ide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back