Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which IC to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tee_2

I am going to buy some IC’s and am not sure which to buy. Like the CD4001N or CD4001M. What is the N and M for? Which should I go with? I was going to stick with the 4000 series since most of the chips that I want to play with are there. I am just starting to learn this stuff and am going to get some OR, NOR, AND, NAND, NOT, counter, things like that.

Thanks

Todd

The N is very common (I think it is for normal temperature range with plastic DIP package) I think M is a surface mount package and is becoming cheaper than DIP by the day. DIP packages are easier to use on breadboards.

Hi Todd,
You should download datasheets for the ICs from a Google search. Each datasheet will show you what the letters stand for and have pictures and measurements of the IC packages.
Voltage, current and power limits are also shown on datasheets. Typical circuits are also shown.

https://www.digikey.com has links to the spec sheets for 95% of the useful components out there. Very quick to find specs.

As noted, nobody can tell you what you need for a chip unless we know your needs. Some common variables:
std temp range vs extended temp
different voltage ranges (5v vs 3v parts)
differing degrees of accuracy (things like ADCs, voltage references)
different idle current draw

Usually the last character of the IC part number indicate its package, like DIP, SOIC, PLCC etc.

I think 4000 series is almost obsolete now, as most of the ppl move to 74HCxx or more advance series.

It was for DIP or surface mount. Since I am building on a breadboard that takes care of that question.

I didn’t know that 4000 series is on the way. Should I look into the 74HC series? Like I said, I’m just getting them to learn with on a breadboard, they aren’t being built into any circuits. But I would like to learn with something that will be around for some time and easy to get.

Thanks; this forum has been most helpful and friendly.
Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back