Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where/what country are members from here..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bump..

Anybody out there that is afraid to ask a question on the Forum...but would just like to "ease into things" ?
See how ETO operates and how kind this place is to Newbies :)

Give us a try. Kind people here that know their stuff :cool:

Regards,
tvtech

Oh well, seeing it is dead here...I think a "bump" might be in order.....:eek:

Harder approach..

I have been here a while. I have become older and stupider. My fault.
Please post here and refresh my brain.

What is a Junction with Semicon..duck..tors :banghead:..ducks :wideyed:
I hear there are NPN ones..and PNP ones. The NPN ones are popular. The PNP not so popular.

Is that true? I hear the NPN ones are really good...Really good "ducks".. oh heck my pills have kicked in again.

Quack. Please help.

tvtech

Last edited:
Harder approach..

I have been here a while. I have become older and stupider. My fault.
Please post here and refresh my brain.

What is a Junction with Semicon..duck..tors :banghead:..ducks :wideyed:
I hear there are NPN ones..and PNP ones. The NPN ones are popular. The PNP not so popular.

Is that true? I hear the NPN ones are really good...Really good "ducks".. oh heck my pills have kicked in again.

Quack. Please help.

tvtech

The simplest semiconductor device is a diode. It has two parts--the p type and the n type. The type is determined by the chemicals added to the silicon (or other semiconductor element). Silicon can be found in Group 4A in the periodic table. It has 4 electrons in its outer (valence) shell, meaning it can "connect" in a lattice form. Doping the semiconductor with other elements change its conductive properties.

The diode has a P-doped semiconductor connected to an N-doped semiconductor. This allows current to flow in only one direction (in-depth explanations are much more complicated).

Transistors are like diodes, but have another section added. For NPN it has two N-type sections that surround a P-type section (you can tell by the name), and PNP has two P-type sections surrounding an N. The middle section is the base, and determines the polarity of the voltage needed to "switch on" the transistor. A P-type base means you need a Positive voltage for it to conduct, and an N-type base means you need a Negative voltage.

Neither type is "better" than the other. They are used in completely different applications.

Thanks Matt

My Memory is refreshed....I was thinking about N and P Channel Mosfets :)

All the best,
tvtech

Edit: How are you BTW???

Ah, N and P channel MOSFETs still use N-type and P-type semiconductors, but the way they operate is a bit different.

Things are going well here, just very busy! Moving back to Vermont in a couple of weeks, so I've been scrambling to tie up some loose ends :p

Regards,
Matt

Successful bump completed. Thanks for helping here!!

Somebody out there will learn from this :D:D

Stay well Buddy and keep me posted Matt:)

All the best,
tvtech

I wonder why you ask this question when every info is given under the profile pic

I wonder why you ask this question when every info is given under the profile pic

Not everyone provides this information.

Not everyone fills the the location field or else they respond with "out there", "the world", "Planet X", etc

So this is why we sometimes have to ask where are you from.

OK..Inqu hows life??

Forums/chat maybe a little dead and all ?

Sitting here pondering :)

tvtech

hey TV tech ... I think your CRT profile pic is old tech, you should update to LCD/LED :-|

hey TV tech ... I think your CRT profile pic is old tech, you should update to LCD/LED :-|

LOL...Welcome here :)

Let's get this thread up to speed again. You have jokes...post them here :)

Regards,
tvtech

Not to sure anyone has heard of this island.

I've known Coast Guard shipmates assigned to Loran Station Barrigada, and the CGC Basswood (bouy tender) over there.

Visited there numerous times via Google Earth.

Last edited:
OK..Inqu hows life??

Forums/chat maybe a little dead and all ?

Sitting here pondering :)

tvtech

Hi tvtech,

Life is well.... life! All is as well as can be expected. Remember they can't take your dignity.

How's the air down there? Getting cold up here, wanna trade weather?

Yes, its a little slow right now but, this too shall pass.

Inq

There must be some net based app that would allow members to place pins in their location.

As for people not wanting to disclose their location that is their right. A person saying he lives in New York City is still quite anonymous . But if you live in a small town of a few hundred or even thousand giving the city is quite specific.

There must be some net based app that would allow members to place pins in their location.

I know for a fact there is--we had a similar thread going on AAC, and the members were able to state their locations and the owner of the map would put a pin in it. They also put together a list of the members and where they lived. I'll ask Georacer if he knows where that came from--I think he was one of the ones doing the pinning.

Ok folks, I've started a map on Google. Here's the link:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zBeb6O1n8ATg.kzm99noBwwLE

It is currently set so that only the owner (myself) can edit. This will prevent any trolling, as unlikely as it may be. All people need to do is post their location and I will add it to the map!

So far only the people who have posted in this thread and have their location listed has been added. If I have forgotten anyone, please let me know!

I will probably post this in a separate sticky, but wanted to post it here as well.

Regards,
Matt

Sticky is posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back