Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's your education level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tho my highest education is a BSc in geology, I havent got into it as a career. I did that during the 1990's as an adult student after being made redundant after 12 years with Telecom NZ.
My trade qualifications in communications was done with them.
My love of geology and related subjects is still as strong as ever and I still run a digital seismograph from home.
And every time I go on holiday my rock and mineral collection grows a little more

Dave

Well, to get jobs with a healthy package of bucks, you need strong theoretical background where People are just running behind having candidates with the degrees in their hand, the first choice is definitely given to the individual having a degree in the hand, and his capabilities are slightly overlooked in that aspect, similarly if a person has a less strong degree like say b.com but he is more capable of doing things over and above what his degree speaks, he will be less prefferred for the post, let us say a company has a job vaccant for a mangerial post, and there are two candidates fighting for it the one has say a very normal b.com graduate degree, but the other one is having a degree of MBA, but the person with b.com degree possess more qualities of becoming a manager because of his sound leadership qualities, but he still gets rejected for the job because of the degree he possesses while the other one gets the position though he is not so capable of handling it, just because of the degree he helds in his hand, today materiality speaks over quality this is the fact.

Simple difference; If you're looking for a job, to be hired, get paid to make money for someone else, a degree matters. If you're a business owner/self employed like I've always been and always will be. Plenty of diversified education and experience makes things happen and a degree won't do a thing for me.

Agree with all the above members re: experience more important than diplomas! Unfortunately, the paperwork is usually needed as a springboard.
BTW, have BA in Biology (Boston University
BA in Chemistry (Boston University)
BSEE (MIT)
BSCS (MIT)
M.D. (Mt Sinai)

Doc_K

:confused:

i participate in this, supopse its okay :). well, actually i'm still student, standard electricians training, EE. after that, i'll study ''low'' voltages and programming in a year, 2 educations in 3-4 years. And thanks to my hobbies, it may take LESS than 3 years :D.

i participate in this, supopse its okay :). well, actually i'm still student, standard electricians training, EE. after that, i'll study ''low'' voltages and programming in a year, 2 educations in 3-4 years. And thanks to my hobbies, it may take LESS than 3 years :D.

Hey fezder. Long time no chat ;)

You are learning and hanging out here at ETO. Good for you. I really wish a place like ETO existed when I got involved with Electronics....we only had books then and they were expensive. Here, all is free and online. Plus, good advise given from experienced folks. You are soo ,soo lucky.

Stay well and keep learning here. I want to put you on 3 green bars soon. Just give me a valid Technical reason to do so.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
thanks :) i suppose i could add ''ETO'' forums to my education, eh? :D

oops, douple post....well i'm about to add stuff soon to my blog, got some new stuff, equipment to my lab( couple 150mhz/4 chan scopes,), and broken ones in need for repairs, (3 scopes, 5 function generators) plus other random ''trash''.....well they were ALL going to dumpster, my heart cried so much so i took liberty (and permission from teacher to scavenge) to salvage them before they went to dumpster......also, about 13 isolation transformers, variacs, etc etc...i hit jackpot, literally :D and, please, dont be mad to me :D.

oops, douple post....well i'm about to add stuff soon to my blog, got some new stuff, equipment to my lab( couple 150mhz/4 chan scopes,), and broken ones in need for repairs, (3 scopes, 5 function generators) plus other random ''trash''.....well they were ALL going to dumpster, my heart cried so much so i took liberty (and permission from teacher to scavenge) to salvage them before they went to dumpster......also, about 13 isolation transformers, variacs, etc etc...i hit jackpot, literally :D and, please, dont be mad to me :D.

Now what are you planning to do with the stuff ?? Got space to store all etc.... Fix broken things here via posts... Sigh.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
thanks, i won't let you down :). Yes, i remember, at least now :D.

Now what are you planning to do with the stuff ??

Regards,
tvtech

well, in the name of training, attempt to repair them, what i can, and of course ask from ETO, if needed (which i think is highly likely). I try to sell those isolation transformers. Variacs i probadly keep all, about 6pcs, 4 amps rated. Oh, and isolation transformers have two 1:1 5amp windings, they should make excellent variac/isolation transformer combination. I already use those 150mhz scopes, they are absolutely great!. One broken GW-instek function generator, exactly same model which i have in working condition, should make repairing easier. Other function generators are older, but they should make good equipment too, once working of course, they have great multi-turn pots for fine adjustment!. other equipment was EPROM eraser/writer, some sort of programming device IIRC, frequancy counter, which display i highly suspect, and fm/am signal generator. And, on top of all this, 4-6 cardboard boxes full og pcb boards from CRT displays, pc PSU's, and stuff, 5 toroidial transformers, and couple more high-power PSU's. Time will show what i'll do with all this ''junk'' :D....

I've been a student for over 10 years now.. I teach embedded systems on two different courses and take misc. jobs here and there. 'Been a tv-station -technician (camera, lighting, editing, repairing) for two years. Worked as art director (poster/websites/adds) for one year and as an apprentice for an artisan woodworker for years (summers). I've also worked for faculty called "Design Factory" for over a year.. We helped starter-companies with all the technical stuff they struggled.. And there was plenty. Most starter companies today have all the marketing etc. worked out, but they do not know how to actually realise their idea into a product. Bunch of business ******** -people. Fancy ideas, no practical skills. I'm not in a hurry to go to the corporate rat race. I will settle down with my own business eventually. That is the plan. Now I'm gathering all the experience and contacts I can.

and yes, tvtech, i have storage to all this, as my teacher said, ''look how much stuff you can pile UP, towards ceiling....many unused cupid meters, waiting to be filled....'' well, you can imagine what hes office/classroom/lab looks like :D

and yes, tvtech, i have storage to all this, as my teacher said, ''look how much stuff you can pile UP, towards ceiling....many unused cupid meters, waiting to be filled....'' well, you can imagine what hes office/classroom/lab looks like :D

LOL :D

Keep going and keep learning every step of the way.

Regards,
tvtech

Hi fezder

Please keep your blog regularly up to date here. Interesting stuff you buy. I am learning too :) I will only comment on the stuff once I recognize items there.

Nice to have you around ;). Genuine, eager person who contributes here and has a lot to offer ;)

All the best,
tvtech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back