Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

I sorted out my box of mixed transistors, found this. It's in a TO92 package, except for the slightly odd shape, 3 legs, looks like a tranny, but searching for those numbers doesn't come up with it. I reckon the "F" is for Fairchild, not part of the part number. Beyond that I'm stumped. Suggestions?

TIA :)

Attachments

• 2015-05-09-122912.jpg
    2015-05-09-122912.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 224
  • 2015-05-09-122957.jpg
    2015-05-09-122957.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 211
IRF, BF?

The numbers suggest something really old: 1962?

I doubt if it's even pre-80's. If you look at the "F" the line goes right through it, that's why I think it's Fairchild's mark, rather than part of the part number. I'll check it with the meter in a while.

You need one of those cheap component testers.

I mined some fets the other day, cant find the datasheet, but the comp tester says they are fets, they are out of a dlt tape drive.

You need one of those cheap component testers.

I mined some fets the other day, cant find the datasheet, but the comp tester says they are fets, they are out of a dlt tape drive.

Yes, damn useful those component testers (and fun to build as well).

I sorted a load of resistors out the other week, many of then 1% - and it's VERY hard to read what values they are, made it so much easier just sticking the tester across them.

I was also fitting some plastic transistors, not sure of the pin outs, just stuck them on the tester and it tells you which pin is which (and also which ones were NPN or PNP) :D

I'm finding it FAR more useful than I imagined.

I use mine for pinouts too.
Later ones test thyristors.

Still haven't checked it, but I wouldn't have thought to test for it being an SCR! Must check later...
Budget still won't stretch to one of those cheap component testers though. Maybe next month :)

All you need is a flashlight with one AA battery and alligator clips to test an SCR. Apply 1.5V to gate and output latch light on.

My preferred pints are the microbrewery from "out West" in Canada called Big Rock Brewery, famous for their world's smallest fire extinguisher with taste and in true British style consumed warm thanks to the maybe switch on Lucas refrigerators.

What's a bob, again? Something to do with shillings.... Sorry I was a decimal child!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back