Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Whats the difference between Ni-cd and Alkaline batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greatbuddy

Whats the main difference between Ni-cd and Alkaline batteries?

Whats the best according to performance wise?

According to back up which can we opt?

Alkaline batteries are not rechargable. You buy them, use them one time and, when there is not enough charge they are discarded.

Ni-Cd batteries are rechargable. You use them many times, charging between uses

Actually there is no big difference. Handled "properly" both of them might be converted to bombs. :D Alkaline batteries cannot be charged whereas Ni-Cd batteries can be charged.

Charging an alkaline battery you'll have in instant bomb, overcharging a Ni-Cd battery you'll have a delayed bomb.

Concering cost for power a carefully handled Ni-Cd battery survives up to 1,000 charging cycles. Comparing the prices a Ni-Cd is cheaper (by time) than an alkaline battery because of multiple charging capability.

Ni-Cad batteries are obsolete. They have been replaced by Ni-MH batteries that have 4 times the capacity.

My RC helicopter came with alkaline batteries which did not last long. I now use Ni-MH batteries that I recharge over and over.

An alkaline battery starts with a higher voltage when it is new. But when it is loaded its voltage quickly drops to a lower voltage than a Ni-MH battery.

Attachments

• AAA Alkaline-Ni-MH comparison.PNG
    AAA Alkaline-Ni-MH comparison.PNG
    11.9 KB · Views: 647
Whats the main difference between Ni-cd and Alkaline batteries?
Whats the best according to performance wise?
In addition to the comments above. NiCads and NiMH batteries will self-discharge when not in use 100-10000 times faster than alkaline batteries. Alkalines are great for things like clocks which are low drain devices. They suck in digital cameras and other high drain devices.

Last edited:
Nicads have the advantage of being able to supply higher peak currents than NiMH cells.

Nicads have the advantage of being able to supply higher peak currents than NiMH cells.
That is true with Sanyo Ni-Cad cells used in RC models.
It is not true with Energizer cells. The Ni-MH cell has a lower internal impedance so it provides a higher current and for much longer time.

Attachments

• Ni-Cad vs Ni-MH.PNG
    Ni-Cad vs Ni-MH.PNG
    26.7 KB · Views: 424
**broken link removed**

NiCads and NiMH batteries will self-discharge when not in use 100-10000 times faster than alkaline batteries.
That's true for standard NiMH batteries but several companies are now selling low self-discharge NiMH batteries that retain most of their charge for a year or more. The come precharged and can be used without first having to charge them.

Yes, I've heard of those. They have a lower capacity than regular NiMH but hopefully that will improve also. They can't beat the 6-8 year shelf life of an alkaline though. So I'll modify my statement to say, "NiCads and NiMH batteries will self-discharge when not in use 8-100 times faster than alkaline batteries."

Yes, I've heard of those. They have a lower capacity than regular NiMH but hopefully that will improve also. They can't beat the 6-8 year shelf life of an alkaline though.
I have some RayOVac "Hybrid" long shelf life "AA" batteries with a 2100mAH capacity which isn't bad, although I guess it's less than the best NiMH.

Of course if you want several years of shelf life than an alkaline certainly makes more sense, since you wouldn't be using the recharge ability of a NiMH much anyway

Energizer make AAA and AA lithium battery cells that are 1.5V. They have a high capacity, a very flat voltage discharge and a 20 years lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back