Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference between "long" and "short" MLCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkerchip

With contact terminals on the shorter sides, multi-layer ceramic capacitors (MLCC) usually come in a non-square rectangular package. Thus, the device between the contacts is longer than wide ("long" MLCC). Say, a 0805 package is 2.0mm long and 1.25mm wide, having contacts on the 1.25mm wide side.

There are low-ESL caps where these contacts are put on the wider side instead, e.g., on the 2.0mm wide side on a 0805 ("short" MLCC). This creates shorter and wider electrodes inside the MLCC, thus reducing Ohmic resistance and ESL. Besides, it reduces the stress on the MLCC when bending the PCB. The wider cap can also tolerate greater force before cracking.

To sum up, "short" MLCCs seem to have only advantages over "long" ones. Why does the latter have the majority on the market? Is there something I'm missing?

Momentum
I am using shunt, low value, resistors of the "wide" type because the internal inductance is lower. The same for caps. I am working at high frequencies.
1671776721157.png

1671776773626.png

1671776811164.png

They may make things harder to route.

You can pass a reasonable size track across under a "long" component, with reasonable clearance. Not so with a "short" package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back