Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What Software to use???

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilipWarence

Okay guys this is what i wanna do. I have a video cam(without GPS) and I have a GPS Data logger. During my road travels I turn on the camera and the GPS. I fetch the KML file from the logger and the video file from my cam...

My question is, Is there a single Program/Software that you know that can open a video format and a kml file and can display a single window if i play the video like the picture attached here??? The pointer in the map will must move according to the video..

one.PNG

It's an interesting problem. I think your worst enemy is a lack of synchronisation between the gps and the video - unless the clocks are exactly (or very closely) synchronised, you are relying on manual sync of two very different data streams, which you may not be able to do. Possibly your best bet is to find a way to get the gps data into the video stream either during recording (probably very hard) or when you get home (merely difficult). This must be possible because gps video cams exist, don't they? Your chances of finding a program to do what you want then become considerably improved - though you may still end up writing your own wrapper to put the two outputs side by side.

Ill be having a circuit to simultaneously trigger both camera and GPS device Sir so they are closely synchronized( though there will have a discrepancy in time but it is very minimal).
Video cameras with built in GPS do exist Sir and that's why I became more enthusiast about this. To create my own device with the same function as those which already exist..

Someone else wanting to do the same kind of thing. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13059561/how-to-embed-gps-into-video - maybe there is some clue in the answers to help you.
Don't know how useful this would be. Some ideas... http://www.dashware.net/
This might be more what you want: http://inlinepaceline.wordpress.com/2012/04/22/how-to-video-overlays-with-gps-data/

I think if you want to do it at the actual device rather than afterwards, you would need to program a microcontroller to understand the streaming video which you would re-direct inside the camera somwhere, and write the gps data into it, using a format you will be able to decode later. Looks to me like a huge task and one I honestly can't help with. GPS has a very precise clock, so you should use that for your timing information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back