Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the voltage on these capacitors ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Hi.
The leftmost are equal; show 275~ and 250~
Centre one shows 250ac, 310ac and 275ac
Rightmost shows 310~ , 250~ and 275~

Why several ratings ?

-Picture attached-

Attachments

• P1010099.JPG
    P1010099.JPG
    510.1 KB · Views: 193
Not a simple answer!
1) Each country had its own voltage and frequency for the power line. There was a big push to make the voltages more the same but....
2) These capacitors are made to go across the power line. Governments think they know more than engineers about power line electronics. There are laws about power line parts. Search "CSA", "UL", "VDE" for example.
>>>Example 1: if a part maker thinks the part is good for 310V but CSA only rates parts at 80% because of safety issues then the part is only a 210V part in Canada but VDE might say it is a 310V part.
>>>Example 2: I just finished a design that is built to work at 110, 220 and 260. There are many places where 260 is not available. In some places the part will only be rated for 220 because there is no 260.
If you look at the parts you will see the CSA, UL and other agency markings along with the voltage ratings for that group. (if not voltage they may say what "number" to read in the rules to find where you can use this part. )

Does that help?

Hi Externet

I cannot get your picture to download so I can see properly. However, I believe you are referring to X2 Mains Caps. The ones that sit permanently across incoming mains for ever whilst the equipment is plugged in. Part of EMI suppression for SMPS.

Before I go any further please tell me if I am referring to the correct components.

Regards,
tvtech

Hi Externet

I cannot get your picture to download so I can see properly. However, I believe you are referring to X2 Mains Caps. The ones that sit permanently across incoming mains for ever whilst the equipment is plugged in. Part of EMI suppression for SMPS.

Before I go any further please tell me if I am referring to the correct components.

Regards,
tvtech

hi tv,
Is this better for you..:D

Eric

Attachments

• P1010099.jpg
    P1010099.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 171
hi tv,
Is this better for you..:D

Eric

God Bless you Eric. Thank you for helping here ;)

Yip, X2 all the way. Now I can continue with what I can possibly give to help educate people about how robust these little guys actually are.

Here is what Jimson puts them through: Attachment below:

Okay...finally found the file and uploaded it. Jimson is Chinese. Jimson can do the job. A Jimson X2 cap rated @ 275VAC can actually do all and more than it it is rated for......I know. I have taken these guys through their paces.

Three runs @ 400VAC for Five Minutes per run with my little light. No sweat.....

I use X2 caps as Mains Droppers within a Sealed environment. To power and charge both LED's and the backup battery ;)

No nasty surprises as with SMPS that I deal with daily. I tried my best to blow this little guy up in the interests of testing....no go. I went from thirty seconds up to one one minute. First test.

Then I went from one minute up to two minutes....all at 400VAC. It is rated at only 220VAC input.

Then, one memorable Sunday morning, after being warned by my friend......"Don't do something stupid now..leave the 3 phase alone..", I went for it anyway...

Two runs of five Minutes each at 400VAC. Within 10 Minutes of each other ;)

That is real bad ass testing of a product.

Well, the same one that has been to hell and back is still sitting here and proving light, charging the battery and all. Nothing has changed.

Good linear rules. From a tvtech who is tired of fixing blown SMPS in TV's.

I know it is a long post. Thanks guys for reading.

tvtech.

Attachments

• JIMSON 2.2 UF 275V X2 CAP.jpg
    JIMSON 2.2 UF 275V X2 CAP.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back