Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the trade tariff on importing Far East Asian lighting products into UK/USA/EU/Australia/NZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello,
Our company imports vast amounts of Chinese designed/manufactured lighting products and “middle-man’s” them on to western markets. We have a ‘token’ design/manufacture base in UK which kind of “oils the wheels”, shall we say, for this operation. (I'm not knocking the token products....they are pretty cute, and in truth, on a cost/performance/functionality basis, they are very very good and very often just what the customers want.)

Though this behaviour by virtually all UK (+ other countrys too) companys undoubtedly means that ultimately the UK will totally stagnate and passage into being a third world country, ( **broken link removed** ) you can clearly see why UK companys find this modus operandi very difficult to avoid… because there are now very few engineers left in UK, and schools are simply not adequately trying to address the engineering staff short-fall. –The following necessary measures are not being carried out…( **broken link removed** ) There is also the situation of trying to make UK designed products cost competitive with stuff that is simply bought in from the Far East....at a price set by the Far East, which is so cheap that it is low enough to encourage total "knock-out" of western product design capability.....ultimately rendering the west a dependent customer.

There is also the situation of Far East Asian girls being tragically bred into prostitution, so as to satisfy the revolting sexual desires of Western business visitors, who visit the Far East on the premise that they need to “check out” the factory. How they can believe that whatever Far East Asian factory they get shown round is really the one where their products will really be designed/made is beyond me…….in truth, it is virtually certainly just a stooge setup, to fool western visitors. The real factory is probably some horrendous sweat-shop that Western eyes never see.

Anyway, our engineer was just in the middle of finishing up some important testing in some of our “token” UK products, when they took him off this job, because for whatever reason, they were concerned that he may up and leave after completing this work. The company now appear to be pretending that the engineer must design a switch mode power supply based LED driver. This seems to me to be almost certainly a fake job, invented to try and fool the engineer into believing that there is some juicy work to be getting on with, and no doubt an attempt to scupper his leave plans, having prevented him from finishing the work he was doing on the ‘token’ products.
I really cannot believe that a company that makes the vast bulk of its money from “middle-manning” Far East Asian lighting products into the UK suddenly wants to start designing stuff. Only a month ago they told the engineer that there was no development work to be done. Every time a Switch Mode design was presented, it was simply rejected on the basis of being too expensive.
The crucial point is, how much money can be made in importing Far East Asian lighting products into UK? What is the EU Tariff on such imports? I am aware that UK companys don’t pay the tariff because the EU customs guys don’t come to mainland UK. Does anyone know what kind of profit gets skimmed off of an order for say 1000 T8 LED tubes from the Far East , say?

Its necesary to find out the details before our repective western countries totally stagnate, and in the case of the UK, feverishly filling its boots with Far East Asian stuff, and becoming a Third world country within a decade.

Are the cheap Chinese imported electrical lighting products certified to be safe? If they are not certified then are they allowed to be sold in your country? Probably not.

It's been said the "CE" marking on the goods stands for "Chinese Export" :).

Thanks for the cracks....joking aside, the Chinese can now make excellent products...i know that much...when they make poor stuff its because the western corporations are telling them to design to rediculously low costs.
The big mystery is what is the import tariff to the EU..and indeed to the USA or anywhere else in the world?

I tried to find out on gov.uk website, but its just impossible.

Attachments

• CE Marking.jpg
    CE Marking.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 88
Thanks for the Canada website...i got as far as being able to tell that Electrical Lighting equipment is under number "85.12"
However, there is no way shown of finding what the Tariff is for items "85.12"

"Chapter 85 - T2017-5"

I am coming to believe that the establishment (ie the big corporations who run whichever country's governments by back-handering the MPs in all countries) do not want joe public to know this stuff...becuase they are likely to be fiddling it and not paying the tariffs.

If the company that employs you is importing stuff to sell on, then presumably someone in the company knows perfectly well what the tariff is?

in UK, the companies dont pay the tariff...because the EU customs officials are not here.
What i am wondering is, how much are they saving by not paying the tariff?
(ie, what is the tariff?)
They will not like us asking this.

in UK, the companies dont pay the tariff...because the EU customs officials are not here.
What i am wondering is, how much are they saving by not paying the tariff?
(ie, what is the tariff?)
They will not like us asking this.

Sorry, you're making no sense at all - the UK is IN the EU (for the moment), so of course your company pay the import duties, along with VAT and various other charges. As has already been said, your company already know full well what the charges are, and pay them - Customs and Excise will make damn sure they do.

Your entire first post was utter nonsense as well, how can you work in the UK and not know the slightest thing about it?.

Sorry, you're making no sense at all - the UK is IN the EU (for the moment), so of course your company pay the import duties,
UK companies dont bother paying it because EU customs officials are not in UK to enforce the import tariffs.
Nobody in uk complains about this because the tariff money would go to the European Central Bank, which doesnt really help the UK.

There are ways and means for UK companies to avoid paying the tariffs.......even if customs officials conduct snap inspections...because the UK company could pretend that eg an imported consignment was actually made in uk, then exported to China, but then the Chinese returned the consignment because it was the wrong color etc etc....you get the picture........there are ways round the tariffs. Ways of fooling the customs officials.

Just kind of like there are tax havens, ways round paying tax etc etc.

My question is, what is the tariff for eg electrical lighting products?

Your entire first post was utter nonsense as well, how can you work in the UK and not know the slightest thing about it?.
Thanks..well , i have worked in 32 different electronics depts in the UK...probably have worked in some of the same as yourself...and know some of your colleagues/ex-colleagues.......since the UK electronics industry is now literally THAT small.!
(tell me what industrial areas you have worked in and i will name a co. in that sector where i have worked)

My friend, i beg to tell you something else about the UK industry...please read here....
**broken link removed**

..if you want to help do something about this..then send the following letter to your MP...
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I have been importing and exporting for a number of years now and I act as my own broker, IOW I fill in all the C1 as they are known as here, I would assume as someone has mentioned that the tariff tables could be the same.
If you look them up for the best description of the article or device, it gives you the tariff number and the MFN (most favoured nation) tariff, FREE or the % rate and Applicable Preferential Tariffs that apply.
The various publications that explain it are usually available from local Customs and Excise.
One trick is to look for any description that will fit the nature of the product and pick one with lowest or FREE tariff!
When a broker does the clearing for you, he usually has to rely on his estimation of what this product description is and pick one he feels fits the bill, he doesn't necessarily care if it carries tariffs or not.
Not sure how this all fits in with the EU Customs and Excise however.
Max.

Thanks, does anyone know roughly what is the tariff for eg China to the EU? (for say LED tube lights)
I mean is it 1% of value?; 10% of value?; 50% of value?

Thanks, the product code for a led tube light is 85 12 20 00 30
https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/trade-tariff/commodities/8512200030

...it looks like that the import tariff is 20% plus 2.7%...but that's more or less just me guessing...

However, there is another tariff to add on depending on which country it is imported from, and it doesnt state this for importing from China or India.

So it looks like if a UK company does not pay the tariff, then they get the product for at least 22.7% cheaper...which is a cracking deal.

But It really appears to be impossible to find this information out? ie what is the actual tariff for importing a led tube light from india or china to the uk?
----------------------------
I think this page seems to suggest that for importing a led tube light from China, the trade tariff to the EU is 22.7% of the value of the goods....but i am just guessing, it is really not at all clear....

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/trade-tariff/commodities/8512200030?country=CN#import
------------------------------------
In the name of the great one, how on earth would EU customs possibly be able to monitor all the millions of imports from China to the EU?......it seems like an impossibility.

When a broker does the clearing for you, he usually has to rely on his estimation of what this product description is and pick one he feels fits the bill, he doesn't necessarily care if it carries tariffs or not.
The other day I received some O-rings from China. The customs declaration on the packing alleged the contents were 'computer accessories' :).

8512 2000 30 for me in Canada comes up free for all MFN (most favoured nation(s)). Looking up China in the list it is a MFN so the duty is free in my case.
If you DO find the most favorable tariff No., i.e. duty rate, ensure that the shipper puts it on the invoice, this avoids someone in either customs or a broker figuring out a rate which is less favorable.
Max.

The other day I received some O-rings from China. The customs declaration on the packing alleged the contents were 'computer accessories' :).
I think that was the shipper himself making a guess or mistake, a broker would not be bothered to clear something trivial like a few O-rings.
Also below a certain amount, customs duty is free, amount depending on country.
Max.

8512 2000 30 for me in Canada comes up free for all MFN (most favoured nation(s)). Looking up China in the list it is a MFN so the duty is free in my case.
Thanks, but it still gets VAT at Canadian rate, right?

I am sure China imports to the EU have to pay VAT at 20% plus some extra amount. As such, i do not know the total tariff for China to the EU?

Does anyone know.
Currently, British Electronics companies set up "token" manufacture lines....producing "token" products. This is so that they can declare themselves as a manufacturer...these British companies then import Electronics stuff from China, and dont pay the EU tariff....they then pretend that these goods are "made in UK"...and then sell them on to many other EU countries.....these EU countires then conveniently dont have to pay a tariff as UK is currently in the EU..( but not for long).
Its easy to do this from the UK as our ports are off the EU mainland and are difficult for the EU customs to scrutinise.

..This will all end when UK leaves the EU in march 2019, because UK will not be in the EU.

..Even if the UK stays in the EU, this business will end anyway, because the EU are going to ensure that its clamped down upon. For a start, the EU have arranged for a rail route direct from China to Germany (or near Germany) …….any products coming to the EU from china will be easy for the EU to monitor via this route…..any other products coming to the EU from china, eg by ship, will be severely scrutinised. The EU have already ensured that many of the European mainland ports have been closed down to Chinese imports…..the net is closing in…China imports on which the EU tariff has not been payed will not be possible after March 2019….not in any significant volume anyway.

The problem is that this “token” electronics industry in UK, is the only electronics industry left in UK……. And when march 2019 comes, this industry will vanish overnight.

This will leave the UK in a parlous state. The people that ran these industries will simply depart the UK.

Please send this to your MP if you are a Brit, and please heed this if you are not…..it could be your country next….look what happened to Greece.

**broken link removed**

I predict total collapse of UK to the third world within a decade. Before that, there will be total disorder, with possibly American troops coming in and sort it out as best they can.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back