Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the trade tariff on importing Far East Asian lighting products into UK/USA/EU/Australia/NZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its easy to do this from the UK as our ports are off the EU mainland and are difficult for the EU customs to scrutinise.
As we're in the EU, surely our UK customs officers are the EU customs officers :confused:.

As we're in the EU, surely our UK customs officers are the EU customs officers :confused:.

Hope they do better than the last time I entered EU (Manchester) proceeding from Amsterdam (ex Ezeiza). After checking my passport with a friendly lady I crossed the Customs door. Nobody there. After hesitating for maybe two minutes I went outside with my three bottles of wine (present for my beloved friend I had not seen in more than 30 years). Hard to believe for me.

I entered EU (Manchester) proceeding from Amsterdam

When you landed at Amsterdam you entered the European Union, travelling between EU countries there is generally no customs check.
If the Dutch customs were not interested in you, it is unlikely that the Brits would be either.*

When you landed at Manchester, the UK Border Agency would have already known that you were on the flight and where you had come from, if customs had been interested in you the would have called you to one side and asked a few questions.

*It occurs to me that you did not really enter the EU at Amsterdam, you probably did not have your passport checked by the Dutch Border people.

But, your passport would have had a good looking at as you passed the UK Border at Manchester, whether you had flown directly from Argentina or simply arrived from another EU country.

As a side issue, be aware that while the UK is in the EU (for now), it is not a "Schengen Country".
When I travel form the UK to mainland Europe, I have to show my passport to get into Europe, and similarly on the way back I have to show my passport to get back into the UK.
However once in Europe, I do not need to show my passport to travel between countries which are signatories to the Schengen Agreement.

Eg Germany and France

French german border.JPG

No customs, no passport control, just a sign telling which country you are about to enter.
This picture was taken at a barrage across the Rhine river near Marckolsheim in the Alsace region.

Happy holidays (and thread drift).

JimB

I disagree that the East have our regulations down to a T. Most of the PSU's from the East I have tested have failed EMC tests, even though it has all the correct documentation and certificates to say it has passed.

I like their designs though, and a lot of what they do is quite slick. But...in my opinion their products should all be annually tested in the EU, not tested in the East only and sent over with their own certificates.

Post #11 explains one way that customs officials can be fooled.
And lets face it, what British customs officer is going to keenly ensure that his/her own country pays a heavy tariff on imported goods to the European Central Bank?
They turn a blind eye.

What good is British money in the European Central Bank?

*It occurs to me that you did not really enter the EU at Amsterdam, you probably did not have your passport checked by the Dutch Border people. JimB

Exactly. After retrieving my luggage, I walked directly to a gate almost at the other end of the airport and boarded my flight to Manchester. I entered officially the EU there with the smiling welcome of the British lady.

MaxHeadRoom78

Hope that said APB does actually mention an excess of wine over the allowed maximum, roughly equivalent to just half a bottle of excellent Malbec.

SANY7218.JPG

Worth to note that as in previous voyages, my experience with British people (starting at Portsmouth in 1969) was good as usual.

Flyback digression :stop: ends here. Sorry and thanks.:) Back to tariffs now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back