Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the cheapest way to install led chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mw-b

Hi there. I need 660 nm red light for plant growth. I don't have any experience with electronics but I have the following setup from my research on the internet:
  • 1 piece 100W AC85-265V To DC 20-34V 3000mA Constant Current Power Supply(Here)
  • 1 piece 100W 20-24 V 3000mA LED(Here)
  • Multiple Aluminum Heatsink which can cover the surfaces of the device (**broken link removed**) (still looking for better alternatives)
Can I connect the input(AC85-265V) of the Current Power Supply to EU plug to make the product more portable? So I can carry it in my suitcase and plug it everywhere I go.

Last edited:
With no electronics experience you think you'll be able to solder a "ball" type connection? That is not an easy to do thing. And with 220VAC you still need some sort of DC power supply. Have a look at what your link says about the LED -
  • Brand Name: CHANZON
  • Item Type: Ball
  • Certification: CCC
  • Current: 300mA 450mA 600mA 900mA 1500mA 3000mA (1 3 5 10 20 30 50 100 W Watt)
  • Model Number: LED Matrix Beads for Growing Light Lamp 440 nm /380-840nm
  • Voltage: 3.0-3.4V
  • Feature: Stable performance,Higher Lumen,Long service Life
  • Body Material: Copper
  • Chip Size: 3030mil,4545mil (Epistar, Epileds, BridgeLux,Sanan etc)
  • Function: Plant growth, Promote the photosynthesis, Vegetable & Fruit Cultivate
  • Life Span: 50000 hrs (Need to use with heatsink,working t

100W is a lot of heat in that small size. Where will you buy a custom-made heatsink for it? It might cost a fortune.
100W is the maximum allowed power, but since it comes from "over there" then 50W might be its actual maximum.
www.fakespot.com rates the amount of fake reviews for the Chanzon high power LEDs as "C" which is not very good.

I bought 4 x 10W LEDs very similar to the above. I mounted them with thermal epoxy on a 150mmx100mmx16mm heatsink. They are 12V units and at 12V they take 1.3A! That is 16W - and they get very hot. Don't be tempted to power them without a heetsink. With all 4 combined I used a 0.22Ω resistor in series with them to reduce the power. Soldering them was the easy part. Images below.

Mike.
Edit, for the curious, they were for an indoor herb garden which I managed to kill.:mad:
LEDs.jpg
LEDs back.jpg

I bought 4 x 10W LEDs very similar to the above. I mounted them with thermal epoxy on a 150mmx100mmx16mm heatsink. They are 12V units and at 12V they take 1.3A! That is 16W - and they get very hot. Don't be tempted to power them without a heetsink. With all 4 combined I used a 0.22Ω resistor in series with them to reduce the power. Soldering them was the easy part. Images below.

Mike.
Edit, for the curious, they were for an indoor herb garden which I managed to kill.:mad:
View attachment 117154View attachment 117155
Thank you. Connecting them parallel and using 12 V power source is a nice idea. Now, I am planning to buy :
* Power source: 220V to 12 V adaptor
* 10 pieces of 10 watts 6-7 V 840-1000mA 660 nm LEDs(Will be connected parallel)
* 12v 0.39A fan (Will be connected serial)
How many resistors do I need to drop power? Will it work?
Sorry for my bad electronics. :)

Thank you. Connecting them parallel and using 12 V power source is a nice idea. Now, I am planning to buy :
* Power source: 220V to 12 V adaptor
* 10 pieces of 10 watts 6-7 V 840-1000mA 660 nm LEDs(Will be connected parallel)
* 12v 0.39A fan (Will be connected serial)
How many resistors do I need to drop power? Will it work?
Sorry for my bad electronics. :)

Notice that he isn't using the same LEDs that you linked to? His aren't ball mount but have a wire connection to power them.

Notice that he isn't using the same LEDs that you linked to? His aren't ball mount but have a wire connection to power them.

Thanks what is the ball type of connection? Isn't it a classic type of soldering connection? Also, I changed my design I am using the constant current LED driver to give the correct current.

Last edited:
It's real name is BGA. A bunch of tiny tin balls that need to be soldered in an oven . To my limited knowledge it can't be done with a soldering iron. And it has no way of soldering to a wire.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_grid_array
I have asked the seller he told me that "No. It is not a ball. Usually, the led chip connected by cable." Also, I have looked at the other seller's product, they all have a ball type specification. I am thinking about to buy what do you think about that? Thanks.

I'd look at the ones pommie showed you or better yet the ones in the post over in your AAC thread, that guy seems like he knows what he's talking about. If the ones you linked to aren't BGA, why are they listed like that in the data sheet? I'm always suspicious of how those sellers list things and go more by their pictures and not what they tell you when they think you'll buy.

20181122_171546.jpg

above are my herbs growing on a 40 watt 3ft strip that i paid 130$CA.. the leds are about an inch apart and uses AC power.. they dont get very hot at all ,,,,, but when the plants grow too high they still touch the light cover and burn.

for my second run i used 3x strips and some onions spaced 3 per inch,, its overcrowded but the guys in the middle love it and are growing up past the light.. the ones around the edges though are still small and suffering from lack of light

herbs like cool light and shaded areas , summer veggies like it hotter,

summer veggies love the higher intensity but if the leds are getting that hot then i would suggest following the same rule as higher intensity bulbs and keep a bit further away or vent

Last edited:
The best cooler is a surplus CPU heatsink and fan with variable speed. with 3M thermal tape and torque on screws carefully not to crack LED. Your heatsink will fry eggs.

lol , in the first photo that is basil, oregano, lemon balm and onions ... i think onions are summer? but the smaller lights are all the herbs need

20181122_171556.jpg
this is another indoor grow with bell and chili peppers ... the photo was of them just transplanted in for the winter(late) so they are looking a little scraggly from the cold ... but they recovered nicely too using 2 of the strip lights ... however after they grew back they could use another light strip in there ... just did a harvest last week and a whole pint of chilies!

20181020_112017_001.jpg

finally here is an outdoor grow of celery! .. this was my first grow ... and my first photo crop

also .. . the "other" herbs in question would fall in to the summer vegetable category I have seen commercial LEDs that look like ones similar to post 2 but they are working @ 500watts and about 1/4sqft ... also like 500$ca ... those are what you need for the summer veggies

this one time i was at a customers home and in his room was a "other"herb .. he was growing in a small Styrofoam cup and using a 60watt regular incandescent bulb about 3ft from the shelf ... the poor plant was soo tall , about that, 3ft, but it only had 4 leaves, and 2 of them were pressed against the bulb starving for light

im happy the law finally recognizes the rights that the "other"herb have to be here ... now i just hope they crack down on abuse and encourage more ethical treatment laws !!:)

Last edited:
this one time i was at a customers home and in his room was a "other"herb .. he was growing in a small Styrofoam cup and using a 60watt regular incandescent bulb about 3ft from the shelf ... the poor plant was soo tall , about that, 3ft, but it only had 4 leaves, and 2 of them were pressed against the bulb starving for light

My daughter lives in the Netherlands, where 'other herbs' are legal - and when her boyfriend (now husband) was over here a couple of years ago he was intrigued by us giving our cats 'cat nip' - which is 'other herbs' for cats. He offered to grow us some, and bring it over next time he came - we declined, and pointed out the difficulties of taking such foliage through Schiphol airport, never mind turning up at a UK airport arriving from Schiphol carrying suspicious looking plants! :D

smarter to just gro your own ... what are the penalties for uk?

No penalty for 'cat nip', but fairly serious ones for cannabis.

I remember MANY years ago, an old friend of mine planted some in a plastic greenhouse he built, alernating them with tomato plants. They start off fairly similar, but tomato plants grow a LOT slower, so soon became obvious. Anyway, he went out to the greenhouse one day and all the plants (other than the tomato plants) had been stolen :D

Needless to say, he didn't report the theft.

that sounds like here 10 yrs ago, i got dinged once for a bag cost me 1000$ in "fines" anything more than that is trafficking and way more serious, a small plant would be similar to a bag where there are only small fines and they dont really chase for it ....
now we can smoke in public and legally grow up to 4 personal plants but they are dropping that law too since there is a grow technique that can stretch a plant out to grow alot more

also just outside of town is another commercial op and when you drive by it on the highway there are rows of hoop houses and MIBlack cars swarming around the perimeter.
now that i think about it, I just read in the paper today a licensed grow farm for sale for only 4 million dollars,

.. still im not growing it for the reason mentioned above. im just happy that i now can order online and get it in the mail fully secured and insured ... no more going down town to find some guy on a corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back