Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What happened to my PSU thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

My PSU thread got locked why?

Because I wanted to do a good project for this thread.

First it gets moved to ****-chat
Then you all start accusing me of plagiarism which is completely bogus and stupid
Then you start giving me negative reputation because of what you believe
Then I get my Thread locked!

Why would you accuse me of doing a good job? If you don't say at least SOMETHING, you can't back up anything that you said, and you are just a big foney.

How did you figure out which wires did what in you power supply. Last time I look inside one, there were a bunch. Haven't look in years, but what's inside the box was a closely guarded secret.

I just stated my observations and opinion. You follow a certain pattern, and the project is consistant with your past performances. Whether I'm right or wrong, you response is irrational, considering your past problems. Like it or not, you have a reputation. It doesn't magic disappear, you have to earn back the respect you carelessly wasted away. People will be skeptical of your words and your work, until you prove otherwise. Just give credit a reference to the work you use. When you see a project on the web, and build it in your own style, it's still based on work of other people.

Last month, I built a TV-B-Gone project, and posted it here. I stripped down the circuit to the essentials, so I could make it on a single-sided PCB. The PCB artwork was mine, but I never claimed the circuit design or software. I gave links to where I got the circuit and firmware. I'm happy with that, had some fun at Walmart, mom's house on Thanksgiving, and I learned some new things. It was my first experience with a 'C' compiler, which actually worked.

That was all original work, and type. As for the wires, I saw on the side sticker and it said GRN PS-ON. I knew that PS meant power supply, and ON for the Enable line. so the Green wire turned on the PG line. But with what? I tested it with 5V, nope. Then what I thought was the other wire that connected to it was the 2nd part of it, was actually -5V! So I had no idea what wire was what? I probably damaged my PSU connecting the PS-ON line with -5V! Just now I read through a PSU set up website and I discovered that flaw, plus a Resistor that I needed. Then if you go back to my PSU post, I was far off from what an Ideal setup would be! That alone that I had no idea what I was doing as far as one of these goes should be proof enough.

Now look, I love electronics. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE electronics! My favorite thing to do in the world! Being an A and B student in HS, I have to learn not to cheat plagiarize, and etc. Just last week a kid was caught cheating on a Exam and he got EXPELLED. I am naturally a good student and I love school, so I would never want to be in his situation. It just isnt me. That applies for what I do too. If I would have used another source, I would DEFINATELY! include it in my projects! I would not want to be in that kid's situation where he gets expelled, because that just isnt me. I hate it when people cheat. I hate it when people are using the internet on their phones for their Biology Exam (true story). It is so easy to put a source for a project, etc. For goodness sakes you would have to type extremely slow for this to be a problem!

Harvey, now listen to me here. I did not plagiarize, I did not cheat, because why should I? What's the fun in that? You know how active I am on this forum (I check this every 30 minutes, no kidding), and how much I post, so why would you think I would skimp out on one single post?

The truth is, that I don't want to. This forum is like a group of people under one roof getting together and sharing their ideas via text. I love this "group of people" room, because that is the only exposure I get to intelligent people who understand electronics, with varied ideas and experience. In my town, my robotic's team is the only exposure where I can actually meet them, even then they arent crazy over electronics like I am.

I am ignorant, because yes, there are shortcut's out there that any person can take, and because I am so ignorant and because I like doing thing's my own way (granted to my experience level), I would'nt want to cut and paste, or plagiarize, because that's no fun.

If I did cut and paste, I would definately provide sources for my information. That is why I am currently so rock solid and angry (not any more) about my position, because I did not plagiarize, that just isn't what I want.

I hope that you understand my position now.

Thank you

The reason I am calmer now, is beause I spent a little while in my angry dome:

**broken link removed**

This Image is from Gamespot.com, shows, and Futurama. Good show :)

The attachment is of the PSU Post, The Original Thread has been deleted. Sorry, but it is a .txt file. Still contains the OP. If you open it with Microsoft Word it looks normal.

Attachments

• PSU.txt
    4.2 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
I read the other thread and thought that maybe people were a little too quick to assume plagiarism.

Karma sent.

Mike.

hi Krumlink,
I thought your presentation of the PC, PSU would be helpful to members interested in the conversion.:)

I didn't see anywhere in your post, that you claimed the work to be original, but just a presentation of existing ideas.

As to original work, if you compare a topic by looking thru the web its seems that everybody claims to be the author of the work shown on his page, even though in many instances the work is obviously a copy of earlier work.

The same applies to program listings.

We ALL use code fragments that others have developed and hardware ideas they have posted....... isn't that why they posted them in the first place ?, so that others could take advantage of their efforts,

What I find annoying is when a guy copies software or a hardware design and has the cheek to stick a Copyright notice on it!
and to compound the rip off, he posts it on the forum as his own.:mad:

I made a Youtube movie of my PSU completely finished. Hope you like it. This is my first movie, made with a PS2 Eye Toy. Works Great :D

Enjoy the movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqSh7jfoZ3Y

Also while putting the rectangular connector inside of the case, I got shocked at 115V, unknown amperage, across the fingers.

:D It was plugged in with it on. I touched the heatsink I think.

Last edited:
I never said that you plagiarised the whole article, all I said that it was obvious that some of the pictures you included in it were not taken by you.

Well I see you're banned now, I hope it isn't permanent. I take it, that it's because you swore at me in one of your replies so I reported it to the moderator.

Let it be a lesson that no matter how angry you get, always try to avoid being aggressive and swearing at people as it usually gets you nowhere.

EDITED: REMOVED UNRELATED TXT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edited: Please Respect Members.

3v0 said:
And your post served what purpose ?
We get very few kids and girls on these forums.
The young age of Krumlink explains why he has red marks against him, why he was temporatily banned a couple of times and his why thread was locked.

EDITED: WE DIDNT LOCK THE THREAD BECAUSE OF THE CONTENT OR KRUMLINK, IT WAS BECAUSE OF HOW OTHER MEMBERS WERE TREATING HIM. WE DO NOT ALLOW OUR MEMBERS TO BE ATTACKED OR INSULTED..

Wow, this thing really got blown out of proportion. Wasn't looking to start this kind of trouble. I knew he is young, and familiar with his work. This one was potentially dangerous, and should have contained some reference to the source of his inspiration. Don't think I was being mean or negetive, would just like seem him give some credit to the origional designs. Putting together a project, is still a task to be proud of. Perhaps he's still a little young, and I'm expecting too much.
Anyway, feel a little bad about this whole mess, and will stay out of it in the future. Hope he learned something from all this as well.

Krumlink is actually a good guy on another forum.
He knows me there so he knows I am teasing him here.

I am 62 years young and still have most of my hair. If I don't shave for a couple of days my beard is white. My hair is grey-brown.

A few years ago I tried in-line roller-blades. My street is on a hill and I nearly killed myself.
I was going very fast then faster and faster and didn't know how to stop. A parked car was directly in front of me so I grabbed a tree. I stopped!
Nearly broke the tree. Nearly broke my arms. My beard turned white.

Also while putting the rectangular connector inside of the case, I got shocked at 115V, unknown amperage, across the fingers.
It was plugged in with it on. I touched the heatsink I think.
You probably got zapped by the rectified DC on the drain of the power FET. Probably around 160Vdc with some 100-500Khz high voltage thrown in for good measure. :eek:
So remember to be careful around live circuits so you can stay live. Also remember that the capacitors on the power supply will have voltage on them for some time after unplugging the PSU so it is best to wait a minute or two for them to discharge. To be 100% safe, check the circuit with a meter before working on it.
How about we finish this thread off and leave Krumlink alone.
Sounds good to me.

kchriste said:
You probably got zapped by the rectified DC on the drain of the power FET. Probably around 160Vdc with some 100-500Khz high voltage thrown in for good measure. :eek:
Happened to me when I was building my briefcase computer. The PSU case was too big, so I cut it down; during initial testing I had the case open to check fan wiring and ZAP! Wasn't like normal AC, felt like how you described it; almost like tiny nails just under the skin. Not really painful, but something I didn't want to try again.:D

Edited: Please Respect Members.
WE DO NOT ALLOW OUR MEMBERS TO BE ATTACKED OR INSULTED
OOps,
I am sorry I saw Krumlinks video and teased him about it here.

Me neither. I actually find it kinda interesting having another member of the forum in the same age group as myself. Hope krummy comes back. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back