Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does that mean??? Too many unknown abbreviations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ascus(noun)
saclike structure in which ascospores are formed through sexual reproduction of ascomycetes
or

Abnormal Squamous Cells Of Unclear Significance

Not "abnormal". The "a" is for atypical. Within the trade, the percentage of "ascus" reports is considered a figure of merit. "You either know what it is or your don't" (Jack Frost, circa 1970,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_K._Frost) . It is like a golf score, the lower, the better. That is not a consideration for insurance providers.

The first definition is valid in the discipline of mycology.

John

If you want to be relay confused. Look at the different ways the Q code https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_code is used across the different agencies involved in a search and rescue operation. I am a commutator in A.R.E.S. (Amateur Radio Emergency Services). There is so meny different codes out there that I carry a code book with me when I am on duty.

It all depends who you ask and what their perspective is.
be it professionally focused, or technically myopic
or be it broad minded or confidently illiterate.

It's like asking a professional architect of the internet to answer ; what does internet mean? He would most likely define it only in his layer of expertise.
The answer lies in 7 layers.

Whereas in abbreviations, the answer lies in an almost infinite number of modalities and one only need to communicate in abbreviations with those in the same.

See Electronic BABEL

Not "abnormal". The "a" is for atypical.

John

I think it is typical for American Physicians to use the more "Websters approach" to simplified wording like abnormal and British M.D.'s would use the more familial medical term.

I once had to tell my Boss in my 1st job in the 70's about every major fault cause in a new R&D project. I was left responsible for correcting all the design errors. So each week I would have a list of problems, causes and solutions. He wanted a root cause for each problem. I was always able to do this and one day he said "what's this? Oh I said that cause is idiopathic. "Oh what's that?" It means Cause Unknown. ( in medicine, it can be referred to any disease)

But my favorite word that sounds like an acronym is actually a backronym is;
TWAIN

As in, never the twain shall meet ( applied to scanner or camera hardware and software unless you get the TWAIN data driver for that device)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back