Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does electrical shakedown testing include on a commercial truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jani12

A new truck is being built. Some of systems being built in this truck are electrical power steering (EPS) system, Antilock Braking system (ABS), Engine Control Unit (ECU), Transmission Control Unit (TCU), Body Control Module (BCM), Human Machine Interface (HMI), and Instrument cluster.

Is electrical shakedown testing performed on stationary vehicle or while driving a vehicle for certain number of miles?

My understanding is that electrical shakedown testing is minimal testing required to commence comprehensive vehicle and systems tests.

What are comprehensive electrical shakedown tests: I came up with following list so far:

1. Revolution counter reading in instrument cluster.
2. Battery voltage test (Measure battery voltage). Equipment needed voltmeter.
3. Test hazard warning light switch to ensure hazard lights work. The hazard lights must be able to operate without a key in the ignition.
4. Check brake lights turn ON when brake is applied.
5. Checks all the horns work.
6. Test wiper motor to ensure wipers works.
7. Test turn signals switches to ensure turn signals work. The indicators are only powered when the ignition switch is ON.
8. Check that cooling fan draws air from the radiator. Check that fan rotates in correct. Check the fan noise level is acceptable.
9. Test the alternator. Use a suitable ammeter to measure the theoretical maximum output current. Measure the alternator output voltage with engine off, engine running at idle, and engine running at some rpm.
10. Headlights operation.
11. High beam operation.
12. Check if brake pads are getting worn out.
13. Test service brakes.

What equipment and tools are needed to perform each electrical test?
What is the test procedure for each electrical shakedown test?
What is the expected result of each electrical shakedown test?

The very first stage would surely be to plug the manufacturers diagnostic system in to the vehicle diagnostic port and do a full modules scan for connectivity and any errors - which will also verify connectivity and operation of a good part of the total electrical system, as most if not all control outputs will have current and voltage monitoring and fault detection.

Verify all module configurations match the overall vehicle type and individual manufacturing options for that VIN.

Your list seems a bit odd.. eg. #12 - how on earth can a new vehicle have worn out brake pads??

>> Check if brake pads are getting worn out
This is contradiction. I said "new truck" but when I wrote this test I was thinking it could be a retrofit truck.

Jani12, I'm not sure of what you are asking. My world was Avionics in the USA, so under the FAA regulations. There any piece of equipment had to be shown to be safe for experimental flight test. So a minimum of lab testing was required. In my case, depending on the equipment type, (e.g. autopilot, flight management, primary flight display) there were FAA regulations called TSO (Technical Standing Order) that were publish for each of the functions the equipment was designed for. These TSO's then pointed at other documents, some were the RTCA (Radio Technical Commission on Avionics), which then may point at specific DO-xxx documents, in my case the DO-160 was environmental tests (shake, bake, emi) requirements. Internally we would determine the minimum tests needed for experimental flight test.
I do not know what the DOT requirements are for vehicles, but they clearly flow down from the USA Code of Federal Regulations (typically part 14).
Are you working as a test engineer, as your list seems to be related to that. If you are working on new electronics, and they are safety related, e.g. EPS electric power steering system, there must be some real qualification testing to ensure it's operation, as well system requirements for what ever level of safety is needed. You don't want a runaway operation that can overpower the driver, and cause a catastrophic event. That's the worry with avionics, so in that world there are three levels of safety for "Safe Flight and Landing", Critical, Essential, Non Essential, and failures were required to be computed per methods developed for the nuclear power industry, of 1 failure per billion hours of operation for critical systems, 1 failure for 10 million hours of operation for essential systems.
Don't know if this is helpful to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back