Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what chip to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainman

I'm currently building a robot that follows a white line. However I do know which chip to use to control functions such as turning. I'm thinking of using a 16F84. Is this a good chip to use or are there better ones to use?

This chip must have two inputs and two outputs

mainman said:
I'm currently building a robot that follows a white line. However I do know which chip to use to control functions such as turning. I'm thinking of using a 16F84. Is this a good chip to use or are there better ones to use?

Pretty well any PIC would do, but the 16F84 is a bad choice, as it's limited and expensive - it was replaced last century by the cheaper, higher spec, 16F628. For a while the 16F84 was listed as obselete, but now they seem to have reintroduced it (at a silly high price) because idiots keep ordering it! :p

In other words, don't be an idiot, because it will only effect you. I highly suggest even the 16F88, because it was my first uC and it works amazingly well! I would get it if you could.

If you have that 84A PIC you can do with it.

If you are not controlling the speed of your robot the historic PIC 16F84A is more than enough.

It just detects which sensor is active & makes one output low or high to get the direction & after makes both (outputs)motors on to move it forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back