Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What Capacitor to use in this half wave rectifier circuit to encode signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a mater of interest, what would you-all do if you wanted to control more than two relays via one wire?:D

spec

Hi spec,
If "C" is a smoothing capacitor it can't work when both switches are closed as there will be AC across it. An alternative to a capacitor across the relay coils would be a diode across them (For R1 the cathode to the bottom end of the coil.) The coils would probably have enough inductance to maintain the current via the added diode during the unpowered half cycle.

Les.

Thanks everyone for your help on this, you have to love the internet, I honestly don't know where else I could get this kind of information so easily, so thanks again

Dave

Hi spec, If "C" is a smoothing capacitor it can't work when both switches are closed as there will be AC across it. An alternative to a capacitor across the relay coils would be a diode across them (For R1 the cathode to the bottom end of the coil.) The coils would probably have enough inductance to maintain the current via the added diode during the unpowered half cycle. Les.

Nice analysis Les,

So you spotted the obvious flaw in my circuit. :banghead:

Back to the drawing board (note pad).

spec

Back to the drawing board
upload_2016-10-29_7-57-39.png

I have had some more thoughts about this relay. I have never seen a relay before that is rated for both AC and DC so I was wondering if this is just a DC relay with a bridge rectifier built into it. Also calculating the value of a smoothing capacitor would not just calculating the value so it did not discharge much over half a cycle. The capacitor would charge to near the peak voltage of the mains supply. (240 x 1.414 = 340 volts) Some allowance would have to be made to the value to allow for this.

Les.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back